Ill. politician Alexi Giannoulias shares campaign wisdom in poli sci class

This quarter, some Northwestern students have the opportunity to learn from a politician who ran in the 2010 U.S. Senate election.

Former Illinois state Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias is teaching a professional linkage seminar in NU’s political science department. The course, titled “Campaigning vs. Leading,” will touch on both the campaign process and the experience of fulfilling a political office.

“The class is about campaigning versus governing,” Giannoulias said. “(It’s) what it takes to run for office these days versus what you have to do when you’re in office.”

Giannoulias earned an economics degree from Boston University and a law degree from Tulane University’s School of Law. While serving as treasurer, he ran in the high-profile race for President Barack Obama’s former U.S. Senate seat. Now, he is chair of the Illinois Community College Board.

According to Giannoulias, he reached out to NU administration, who were interested in his idea for a class.

“I thought I provided a unique perspective,” he said. “I wanted to provide a course where I can talk about my experiences and be able to use that as an example as we analyze local and national campaigns and local and national offices.”

Weinberg junior Dan Tully said students interested in the class were put on a waiting list. Once students were selected to take the class, students dropped off the waiting list and used permission numbers to register.

“I was compelled by the chance to learn about campaigning from someone who has run two statewide campaigns and is also friends with Obama,” Tully said.

Although not everyone is accepted into Giannoulias’ course, University spokesman Al Cubbage said this isn’t a completely unique experience.

“It’s something that has occurred previously,” Cubbage said. “The opportunity to learn from someone who has real-world experience as an elected official hopefully will be beneficial to our students.”

Tully said he agreed that the real-life factor of the class is a big plus for him and his classmates.

“It’s going to be a really in-depth look on campaigning and politics in general from someone who has lived through a campaign and is a professional public servant,” he said. “It’s not looking at campaigning as it should be theoretically. It’s looking at campaigning as it exists in the real world.”

The course will feature a variety of speakers including authors, consultants and state representatives. Tully said these speakers will give students a network to forge relationships with professionals in the field of their choosing.

Giannoulias said last Wednesday’s class, his first with NU students, was a success.

“The students are passionate. They’re smart, they’re engaged,” he said. “It’s also a lot of fun for me and hopefully for them.”