Ski trip planned for Park City Mountain Resort in Utah

Northwestern students will hit the slopes at the Park City Mountain Resort in Utah this winter, NU Ski and Snowboard Club announced Friday.

The club held a barbecue Friday on the Lakefill to unveil the location of its annual ski trip, which occurs during the first week of winter break. Between 700 and 1,000 people attend the trip every year, including undergraduate students and faculty members.

According to Co-President Kyra Weiss, this will be the most well-known mountain the club has gone to in the last three years.

“It’s a great location,” the Weinberg senior said. “It’s absolutely amazing skiing in early snow.”

Tickets will cost around $400, which covers rent and a four-day ski lift pass. For transportation, students can either buy their own plane tickets or take the motor bus provided by the club.

Although the trip is organized by the NU Ski and Snowboard Club, Weiss said more than half of the students who go on the trip do not regularly ski or snowboard.

Besides skiing and snowboarding, Park City offers other activities, such as tubing, ice-skating and snowshoeing. The surrounding town also offers shopping opportunities and restaurants.

“It’s more of a town built for a vacation,” Weiss said.

Every year, the club makes sure to hold other events during the trip, such as bonfires on the mountains and free wine and cheese. It also rents a space and pays for a musical artist to fly in and perform for the students, such as last year’s Ying Yang Twins show.

Weiss said the trip is a great opportunity for students to meet new people.

“You’re just interacting with people you wouldn’t have a chance to on campus,” she said. “Everybody really comes together on ski trip.”

McCormick freshman Susan Muehrcke said she is considering going on the trip since she has always wanted to go to a place like Park City. Muehrcke has skied since she was seven years old.

“(It’s) a great way to meet other NU students with similar interests,” she said.

Tickets go on sale Oct. 10 at the Norris Box Office.