Men’s Basketball: NU draws Georgia Tech rematch

Jonah Rosenblum

Georgia native JerShon Cobb will make a trip home next season, and he’ll bring the rest of the Wildcats with him when Northwestern visits Georgia Tech on Nov. 29 as part of the 2011 Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

The two teams faced off last year at Welsh-Ryan Arena, with the Wildcats rolling to an easy 91-71 victory.

While NU will bring much of the same personnel into next year’s contest, Georgia Tech will feature a new coach roaming the sidelines. Brian Gregory takes over following a disappointing season in which the Yellow Jackets finished 13-18. Gregory was an assistant coach in Evanston for two years.

Attacker Smith a Tewaaraton finalist

Recognition of Shannon Smith’s prolific junior season continued Tuesday, as she was one of five players named as a finalist for the 2011 Tewaaraton Award, which is given annually to the top men’s and women’s collegiate lacrosse players in the country.

This latest honor adds to a slew of American Lacrosse Conference awards already received by the Northwestern attacker. Smith earned first-team All-ALC accolades two weeks ago and was named the ALC Tournament MVP four days later.

Smith joins a long list of Wildcats who have received Tewaaraton recognition in past years.

Smith leads the nation with 113 points, which marks the fourth-highest total in program history.