NFL players, brothers discuss balancing religion, football

NFL safeties and brothers Hamza and Husain Abdullah spoke to a crowd of about 50 students and faculty members at Fisk Hall about overcoming challenges as practicing Muslims in the NFL.

Northwestern’s Muslim-cultural Students Association hosted the event. Weinberg sophomore Aatifa Shareef, co-president of McSA, said the groups’ spring speakers are usually political figures, but the group wanted a change.

“Our community wanted to hear more from athletes,” she said. “Not only were both brothers able to talk about Islam, but they live their career and their lives by it, which is something that you do not get from every Muslim, let alone athletes.”

Every year, football players across the U.S. are required to participate in summer training camps. For the past few years, training camp has coincided with Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting, the brothers said. During Ramadan, Muslims abstain from food and water from sunrise to sunset – a rule the brothers followed even while training.

“Being in front of the camera allowed us to show Islam in a positive light,” said Hamza Abdullah, who plays for the Arizona Cardinals.

The brothers, who came from a family of 12 children, said their faith has been an integral part of their lifestyles since their childhoods.

Both brothers retold challenging life events including injuries, surgeries and the NFL draft. They said these experiences tested their work ethic, patience and humility. The brothers said one verse from the Quran in particular helped them get through the hardships: “No soul does God place a burden more than it can bear.”

“Some people have certain things they live by,” Shareef said. “These brothers live by the verse that they mentioned. This shows people of all faiths need something that keeps them grounded.”

Weinberg sophomore Jomonavi Chokor said he found the lecture very inspirational.

“All of (Hamza Abdullah’s) trials, such as being cut and being drafted in the seventh round, show if you keep pushing, you’ll get through it,” said Chokor, who is a NU football player.

For McCormick freshman Fallon Crowley, the lecture’s topic was entirely new.

“I was impressed by their humility,” she said. “I didn’t know about the fasting, but I respect it. I never thought about religion’s impact on athletes.”

Patience and humility are two of the best qualities a person can have, Hamza Abdullah said.

“You can never say you have been patient enough,” he said. “You are not the judge. Continue to have patience. Continue to practice humility.”