Old School Freight Train will headline 11th annual Philfest

Old School Freight Train will pull into the South Lawn of Norris University Center when the 11th annual Philfest, Northwestern’s premier bluegrass and folk festival, comes to campus May 14.

Philfest, which has been co-sponsored by A&O Productions and Students for Ecological and Environmental Development since 2002, is held in honor of SEED member Phil Semmer, who passed away in a car accident in Australia before his senior year in 2000.

Because Semmer planned to be part of the Rocky Mountain Institute after he graduated, all donations collected at Philfest go toward the charity.

Bluegrass and folk were his favorite genres of music.

“It’s a great feeling. It’s a really warm environment,” said Caroline Schwartz, a Communication sophomore and SEED representative.

Elsa Stahura, the co-director of promotions and public relations for A&O Productions, calls Philfest one of the gems of NU.

“(It’s) all the hippie aspects of (Dillo Day) without the drunkenness,” the Communication junior said.

Besides the concert, Philfest will also include a Green Fair, where campus and Evanston environmental organizations will set up booths and provide information to NU students.

Stahura said she hopes Philfest will give NU students the opportunity to enjoy alternative forms of music and experiences.

“We just want to open their eyes to new opportunities to enjoy spring and celebrate the season at Northwestern,” she said.