ASG presidential candidates promote similar platforms, different styles

The two Northwestern Associated Student Government presidential candidates voiced similar platforms in a 13-question debate Monday but expressed different plans for implementation.

The debate, moderated by ASG Speaker of the Senate Wilson Funkhouser, marked the final official public forum for the respective candidates before ASG voting Wednesday.

The difference between Medill junior Matt Bellassai and Weinberg junior Austin Young became clear when asked what action they would take on their first day to increase student engagement in ASG. The candidates tried to define what was real, effective action. Young said he would close the doors of the ASG office for 24 hours, not allowing himself to remain there, and talk to students around campus. Bellassai said he would send emails to every student leader to arrange meetings.

Their disparate plans reflected the candidates’ unique experiences. Bellassai stressed his experience on the ASG Executive Board while Young spoke about his experience with other student groups.

“(I have) a track record of leading organizations that are efficient, that are united and that are relevant on campus,” Young said in an interview with The Daily.

Bellassai said his involvement with ASG’s Executive Board is an asset as a presidential candidate.

“I have history of producing for students in ASG and really understanding what problems ASG faces,” he said in an interview with The Daily.

Both candidates agreed communication between ASG, the administration and the student body is a responsibility to be emphasized and improved.

Current ASG President Claire Lew said both candidate teams are qualified, but she is personally supporting Bellassai and his vice presidential candidate Jazzy Johnson.

“I think Matt and Jazzy would elevate Northwestern in terms of taking it forwards,” the SESP senior said. “Matt and Jazzy bring the necessary experience in order to implement realistic solutions.”

The debate covered topics such as the inclusion of multicultural houses and facilities on school tours, influential individuals at NU, candidates’ plans to implement their goals and the Living Wage Campaign.

Before the questions began, each candidate gave an opening statement.

Bellassai spoke of the Alan B. Shepard High School college counselor who told him that he would probably not get into Northwestern. Even before coming to NU, he said, he was a fighter. Opposing presidential candidate Young stated his involvement in multiple NU organizations, including Wildcat Welcome and A&O Productions, have prepared him for this position.

For each question, both candidates were allowed to respond, and the first speaker would be allowed a one-minute rebuttal. According to Funkhouser, most of the questions were submitted by undergraduates and student organizations, such as the Progressive Alliance and Northwestern News Network.

When asked how they planned to implement the goals of their platforms, Young said one of his foremost priorities is to change the culture of ASG and group dynamics to encourage all students involved to work together for a common vision. However, the difference between the two campaigns, Bellassai said, is that he and Communication sophomore Jazzy Johnson have actually laid out solutions to some of NU’s problems.

“We’re not just pointing out problems, it’s about knowing what to do with these issues,” Bellassai said in an interview with The Daily after the debate.

On some issues, both candidates strongly agreed, such as their support for the Living Wage Campaign and President Morton Schapiro’s “three and e” initiative, which requires experience to be part of NU students’ overall education.

Voting opens for students Wednesday.