Baseball: NU’s new lineup sees same results in early play

Not much may have changed in W’s and L’s in the last year, but a lot has changed on paper since April 2010. The Wildcats have only three position players and one pitcher in the same spots as last year. Now, with the pre-conference portion of its schedule almost in the books, Northwestern looks primed to make waves in Big Ten play.

In its first 23 games last year, NU was outscored by a combined 64 runs and compiled a 6-17 record. This year through 20 contests, though their starting record hasn’t much improved (7-13), the Wildcats narrowed that scoring margin to 20 runs.

“(A record of) 7-13 is not exactly what we wanted to be at going into Big Ten,” junior Francis Brooke said. “But we have developed and started playing well.… We’ve been in a lot of close games, so we have a lot of experience being in tight games and knowing what it takes to win and what we do when we lose.”

Brooke, who will fill one of the weekend rotation slots for the Cats heading into Big Ten play, has posted a 4.50 ERA over five starts, while striking out 21 batters and walking just three, though he has had some mixed results. Brooke threw an 8.2-inning, six-strikeout, two-run outing against Dartmouth, while also pitching a 3.1-inning, five-run stint against Campbell.

Sophomore Luke Farrell also impressed on the mound in his first five starts of the season, notching two wins and a 3.71 ERA thus far while striking out 24. In three of the righty’s starts, he pitched six innings and allowed two or fewer earned runs. Brooke said Farrell has been successful in hitting his spots and keeping hitters off-balance with his curveball, changeup and fastball. Coach Paul Stevens is looking forward to seeing what the 6-foot-6-inch 200-pounder can do in conference play.

“He’s going to be a fierce competitor for us,” Stevens said. “I’m really excited about what the year’s going to bring for him.”

Freshman lefty Dan Tyson may have earned the third spot in the rotation with his recent start against Campbell, when he pitched 8.1 innings, allowing two earned runs on nine hits and striking out six.

Tyson marks one of a handful of freshmen contributing significantly. Another is righty Jack Quigley, who made 11 appearances out of the bullpen, including one for 5.2 innings during which he allowed three hits and no earned runs against Campbell.

Through the first 20 games, 10 pitchers have appeared in relief, ranging from freshman shortstop Kyle Ruchim to junior closer Paul Snieder. Snieder, a 2010 first-team All-Big Ten selection, struggled on the mound with an ankle injury through part of the season and, according to Stevens, is getting healthier and stronger with each outing.

Snieder has also resumed his spot at first base, where he played last season. Stevens initially planned on starting sophomore Jack Havey in that role but was so impressed with freshman Jack Livingston’s offensive production that he decided to put Snieder back at first so that Livingston could serve as the designated hitter.

Two unclear positions at the start of the season were left field and second base. At left field through the first 20 games, freshman Nick Linne started seven games, while sophomore Colby Everett and juniors Geoff Rowan and Hamilton Wise each started four. Although Rowan’s initial position was behind the plate, Stevens’s current plan has freshman Jake Straub manning the dish and Rowan playing left.

“Straub has really elevated his game over the last few weeks behind the plate, which then gives us some flexibility to move (Rowan) around,” Stevens said. “Rowan has done a tremendous job for us behind the plate, but he’s probably got the most experience in left field when push comes to shove.”

While Stevens has found a solution for left field, the same can’t be said for second base, where freshmen Patrick Miller and Cody Stevens are still battling it out. The two “can play defense with anybody,” Stevens said, but are struggling offensively.

“They both need to elevate their hitting,” Stevens said. “Each of them has their strengths and weaknesses, but we’ve got to get a little bit more out of their bats.”

Overall, NU has posted a .261 team batting average, which Stevens acknowledged needs to improve. One player, though, has come out of the gates swinging. Senior Chris Lashmet’s average is .380 heading into today’s 3 p.m. matchup against Valparaiso. The third baseman has recorded 30 hits, including eight doubles and one home run.

“All throughout break, except for against Campbell, I was seeing the ball really well,” Lashmet said. “The warm weather helps a lot. I love hitting when it’s 85 and humid and I’m dripping sweat. I’m definitely seeing it well, which is optimistic.”

While Lashmet chalks up his success to seeing the ball well, Stevens has his own take on the senior’s early-season success.

“(Lashmet) has taken an even keel and not gotten too upset or too elated over good days at the plate, good days in the field, bad days in the field, bad days at the plate,” Stevens said. “He has really matured into a quality player. You can see that in the way he’s playing defense for us, and you can definitely see that in the way he’s swinging the bat for us.”

Stevens paused for one moment before saying with gusto, “Lash has arrived.”

Heading into today’s contest against Valparaiso, the first game of the season at Rocky Miller Park, Lashmet and the Cats are ready to compete but have one eye focused on getting conference play underway this weekend.

“I love the Big Ten,” Lashmet said. “It’s a different feel, and you get more excited for (the games).”