Letter to the Editor: Daily editors sensationalized sex toy story

As a Daily cartoonist for the past two years, I have always been proud to call myself a member of such an outstanding newspaper.

However, I’m completely disgusted by The Daily’s blatant pandering to sensationalistic journalism Wednesday. Absolutely nothing about the “fucksaw” story was remotely printworthy or newsworthy. Yes, Professor Bailey offers provocative events. Yes, naked women and sex toys were involved. That’s it.

Despite the story’s headline and angle, there was absolute no tangible debate or controversy initially caused by this event, as evidenced by the original article. There were no quotes offered in opposition to this event, regardless of how hard the writer tried (reaching out to the Dean of Students AND a Christian – covering all the bases!). This “story” was simply gossip under the disguise of The Daily’s allegedly respectable journalism.

I’m no journalist, but I’ve always admired The Daily for sparking discussion and controversy in an intelligent, informed manner. Brothelgate and undocumented immigrants were two excellent examples. The Deru “investigation” was questionable, but this article cemented my concerns. Under Brian Rosenthal’s leadership, The Daily’s main objective over the past month has been to sensationalize and attract attention in all the wrong ways.

Yes, newspapers need readership to survive. Maybe I’m an idealist, but I’d like to think that The Daily can maintain readership through intelligent discourse, not through the real-world equivalent of running up and down a street in a bejeweled g-string.

Congratulations on using words like “fucksaw” and “naked” to get retweeted a million times and attract Gawker’s attention. Further evidence over The Daily’s tabloid aspirations? Front page news over the “scandal” of the Green House president using “illicit tactics” to win Green Cup? I am embarrassed to be associated with this newspaper.

-Nicole Collins

Weinberg senior

Daily cartoonist