Here and Now: Tick…Tick…Boom!

“Tick…Tick..Boom!” is a show, interestingly enough, without a single bomb. This might upset any Michael Bay fans out there, but the metaphor of the title becomes clear soon enough: As the show begins and Jon, the lead, speaks out to the audience, the ticking is the clock winding down to Jon’s 30th birthday, and the boom is the implosion of his dreams and youth. Who can’t relate to that?

“Tick…Tick…Boom!” is a rock opera originally written by Jonathan Larson (the creator of a little musical called “Rent”) as an autobiographical one-man show playwright David Auburn (Proof) revamped to give life to the other characters of the story. But the monologue origin still provides the core of the show, existing in Jon’s constant narration as he provides the audience with a colorful commentary and description of the characters and events in his life. This approach is risky – a rock opera combined with so much breaking of the fourth wall can stretch the limits of believability and audience engagement – but the Jewish Theatre Ensemble gives an admirable shot at bringing it to life.

With a set dominated by a rooftop façade (atop of which, quite cleverly, sits the pit band) and not much else, “Tick…Tick…Boom!” relies heavily on the talent and charisma of the cast to carry the show, a gamble that pays off for the most part. As Jon, Will Skrip is convincingly torn between his fears and hopes, instantly persuading the audience into a feeling of familiarity and affection as his ideals clash with the reality around him. The small ensemble around him provides similar likability – standouts include Jon’s “sell-out” best friend Michael, played unapologetically by Jon Harrison, and Ellie Bensinger’s understanding laced with impatience portrayal of Jon’s girlfriend Susan. Real joy, however, comes in the two actors called upon to create the multitude of smaller roles in the script. From Jon’s droll father to his flighty agent to two snobbish Sunday brunchers, Jeff Meyer and Tracy Smith add a vital touch of hilarity and absurdity to the stage.

As is often the case with musicals, the most enjoyable part of “Tick…Tick…Boom!” is the music itself. With fantastic vocal talent demonstrated by all five cast members, seamless orchestration and excellent arrangement and direction, each song is a delight, whether a silly anthem to sugar or a reflection on taking risks in life. It might not be an explosive action thriller, but JTE’s production is certainly a blast.