Blotter 2/15: String of Evanston car burglaries related, police said

String of Evanston car burglaries related, police said

Evanston Police recorded 12 incidents of car burglaries, break-ins and damages over the weekend.

There were reports of eight car burglaries, two break-ins and two incidents of damages from Friday to Sunday.

Some incidents are almost certainly related, Evanston Police Cmdr. Tom Guenther said. Three incidents on the 1100 block of Dewey Avenue are very similar, he said. In all three, a burglar broke the front passenger window and either stole the car stereo or ransacked the car.

“The M.O. of the incidents are very similar,” Guenther said. “The front window is broken in all of those. Those are definitely related.”

Two more incidents on the 1000 block of Florence Avenue and the 1000 Block of Wesley Avenue, in which the burglar broke the front window and stole the car stereo, may also be related, Guenther said. The incidents are all close in proximity and occurred at night, he said.

Other incidents occurred on the 300 block of Custer Avenue, the 1900 block of Sherman Avenue, the 2500 block of Hartzell Street, the 900 block of Grey Street, the 400 block of Hamilton Street and the 200 block of Callan Avenue.

Police are investigating, Guenther said.

Police transport intoxicated student to hospital

The Evanston Fire Department transported a Northwestern student to Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., Sunday morning after a Community Assistant discovered the minor intoxicated in a bathroom of Lindgren House , 2309 Sheridan Road, University Police said.

The student told police in slurred speech she had consumed unknown amounts of vodka, University Police Deputy Cmdr. Dan McAleer said. She had trouble standing and walking without assistance, he said.

The student was referred to the Division of Student Affairs.

Chicago resident found in SPAC parking lot, arrested for DUI

University Police arrested a Chicago resident for driving under the influence Saturday at 5:20 a.m., McAleer said. The man had a revoked driver’s license and three prior DUIs.

Angel Criollo’s car was parked near the entrance of the SPAC parking lot. When a patrol officer illuminated the vehicle with a spotlight, he saw Criollo sit up on the rear passenger side. The officer attempted to make contact with Criollo, who was disoriented and unable to exit the vehicle without assistance, McAleer said.

The officer detected a strong odor of alcohol emanating from the vehicle. When Criollo exited the vehicle, he was swaying and swaggering. His speech was slurred, and he refused to participate in a sobriety test, McAleer said.

The officer then took Criollo into custody for driving under the influence. At the police station, officers discovered Criollo had a revoked driver’s license and three prior DUIs. Criollo was released on bond when his wife arrived. A court date is scheduled for the near future.

Unruly student taken to hospital

The Evanston Fire Department transported an NU student to Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., after he was found intoxicated at 626 Emerson St. Friday.

Officers responded to a complaint at 11:08 p.m. after the complainant asked the minor to leave the area and he refused, McAleer said. Fifteen minutes prior to the call, the student was seen kicking the east doors of Scott Hall, 601 University Place, he said. Officers escorted the student off the premises without incident, he said. Police referred the student to the Division of Student Affairs.

Chicago cab driver found with suspended license

Police arrested a Chicago Elite Cab Corp. driver for a traffic violation and driving with a suspended license after running a stop sign Friday night, McAleer said.

An officer pulled over a taxi when the driver, Humair Butt, failed to stop at a stop sign on Maple and Simpson avenues. The officer conducted a check of Butt’s driver’s license and discovered it to be suspended. Butt was taken into custody and later released on cash bond. A court date is scheduled for Feb. 25.

-Alex Kane Rudansky