Dance Marathon families feud to raise money

Northwestern students got to see what the survey says in an NU Dance Marathon-sponsored Family Feud game at Harris Hall on Tuesday.

About six teams, including groups from several sororities and fraternities, competed against each other in teams of five to answer questions about Northwestern, game show style.

McCormick junior Sarah Cohick said the game, which was her first DM event, was a clever idea.

“I think it’s fun, but I think game shows are fun, so I might be slightly biased,” she said.

Cohick said she and her team of four were well prepared.

“We watched Family Feud before this,” she said. “We’re all pumped and ready to go.”

The event was DM’s first annual Family Feud game, said Erin Gray, public relations co-chair.

Ideas for campus events are developed and chosen by DM’s special events committee, she said.

“A lot of our on-campus events are smaller,” she said. “They’re about campus awareness and keeping our dancers active.”

Questions included asking students what the biggest NU student group is and what students’ favorite winter activities are in a survey that asked 75 NU students.

A team from Evans Scholars beat out a Lambda Chi team in the first round, earning them coupons for free entrees from Cosi.

McCormick senior and Lambda Chi team member Ian Charles said he was not disappointed, although the restaurant gift certificates were the main motivation for his team.

Weinberg freshman Julia Kilcommons said the win was no surprise, since her fellow Evans Scholars team members were confident.

“It’s a good way to get everyone bonding and excited about DM,” she said. “It’s nice to represent Evans Scholars and have fun.”

Prizes included other gift cards and coupons to local businesses and restaurants. Teams paid an entry fee of $25 each, which went towards the DM beneficiary, The Children’s Heart Foundation, a group that exclusively funds congenital heart disease research.

A DM-sponsored Valentine’s Day party with some of the charity’s beneficiaries will be held at the Jerome B. Cohen Commons in Technological Institute on Saturday.