Clifton: Reagan was no Jesus

Many would agree with those few first words of “The Boondocks” animated television series, especially in light of former president Ronald Wilson Reagan’s 100th birthday on Sunday. While many Republicans and others continue to celebrate his legacy following the event, many wouldn’t dare celebrate. And, though I would never say Reagan equals Satan, I wasn’t celebrating either.

Sure, Reagan has an inspirational back story, moved people with his words and ultimately slapped the communist taste out of the USSR’s mouth. But the way his birthday was being celebrated last weekend, you would think he was Mother Theresa. Sen. Mark Kirk, R-IL, Sarah Palin and other 2012 presidential wannabes are calling for our current generation of leaders to revive the ways of the “Gipper.” As some have said, it’s like they’re trying to insert Reagan into our drinking water.

Let me be very clear. Reagan was not anywhere close to wearing a halo as America’s 40th president. I know it isn’t nice to speak ill of the dead, but it’s dangerous to put politicians on too high a pedestal. There’s plenty of evidence suggesting that the starting point for many catastrophes facing America today, both domestic and foreign, have roots in Reagan’s administration. His anti-communist ideology was part of his reasoning in providing weapons and funds via secret operations to insurgent forces in the Middle East and in Latin America, culminating in the Iran-Contra affair during his administration.

The affair was an example of America’s military adventurism in foreign affairs, the same adventurism that led President George W. Bush to start the multi-billion dollar tab on an Iraqi war. These actions also resulted in the heavy funneling of drugs into the U.S., which fueled gang violence, put more poor people and minorities into the prison system and ravaged communities. While Nancy Reagan’s awareness campaign called on kids to “Just Say No,” her husband’s administration was saying “yes” to drugs.

He also remained largely silent on the HIV/AIDS issue, even as people he knew, including actor Rock Hudson, succumbed to it. Let’s not forget his cabinet’s callous attitude toward sexual health, especially in its refusal to support sexual health education initiatives. His communications director, the ever cantankerous Pat Buchanan, called AIDS “nature’s revenge on gay men.” As we know very well, HIV/AIDS is a disease that affects everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation. I couldn’t even fathom celebrating Reagan’s birthday if I lived in the ‘80s and watched my friends die around me while my nation’s leader remained silent.

Reagan’s economic policies have also contributed to an American economic mindset that has resulted in our current mess. The belief that wealth will “trickle down” if we lay off taxing the rich only further glorifies corporate dominance in our society and creates large conglomerates that are “too big to fail.” If we invested in sustainable initiatives like education and infrastructure instead of corporate-backed adventuristic militarism, perhaps America would not be one of the most illiterate developed nations in the world.

And though Reagan was anti-segregation, he was no angel on civil rights issues. He even opposed the idea of institutionalizing Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a national holiday until a veto-proof Congressional majority backed him into submission. Reagan also opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, though he extended the latter during his presidency. Not one piece of legislation supporting LGBT rights came through his administration, even after he was aware of the perils facing the community.

Yet Kirk, Palin and others praised him on Sunday as if Reagan were Jesus himself. Puh-lease.

For those reasons and many more, Reagan’s 100th birthday provided no impetus for many Americans to celebrate his legacy. Instead of singing “Happy Birthday, dear Ronnie,” I spent Sunday cringing at Christina Aguilera’s bastardizing of “The Star Spangled Banner” and learning via a conference about social justice efforts Reagan would have only given lip service to.

Derrick Clifton is a Communication junior. He can be reached at [email protected].