City assesses at-risk youth, homelessness programs

Evanston officials assessed programs to help at-risk youth and homeless residents at a Human Services Committee meeting of the Evanston City Council on Monday night.

The meeting, which focused on city-managed youth employment efforts, was the first of an ongoing series of discussions on youth crime held at the Civic Center.

The series was the brainchild of Ald. Lionel Jean-Baptiste (2nd), who made several references to a group of young adults who “are falling through the cracks” and are struggling with unemployment and violence.

“While crime has gone down, this group continues to be as violent to one another as they have ever been,” Jean-Baptiste said.

Doug Gaynor, the city director of parks, recreation & community services, announced his department would expand the city’s Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) to operate year-round. However, the full program would not be ready until after the fall, Gaynor said.

“I want to be really clear that this is a major undertaking that is brand new for us and if we wind up with 30 or 35 young folks that we’re able to take care of, that would be pretty successful,” he said.

The revamped program will focus on employment and mentor opportunities for youth ages 14 to 25, using more than a dozen partnerships with local organizations, including Evanston Township High School and local businesses, according to a staff memo.

The reorganization of youth services comes after City Manager Wally Bobkiewicz transferred supervision of SYEP to Gaynor’s department in September. The program was created in 1992 and has provided more than 2,500 youth jobs, Youth Coordinator Sol Anderson said.

Gaynor said his department will focus on identifying young adults through an “invisible communication system,” including pastors, school counselors and police officers. Aldermen inquired about the efficiency of the broad new program, ensuring that at-risk youth will be served.

“When you’re poor, you always have to prove how poor you are,” said Ald. Delores Holmes (5th). “I’m very frustrated.”

Future discussions at the Human Services Committee on youth crime will focus on efforts of the Evanston Police Department and local non-profits, Ald. Jane Grover (7th) said.

The committee meeting ended with a critique of communication between city officials and Evanston’s homeless outreach programs. Ald. Holmes shared the story of a lifelong Evanston resident who left the city for shelter in Chicago after working with Connections for the Homeless for two years. Community Intervention Coordinator Alisa Dean was unable to explain why the particular individual did not qualify for assistance.

“It’s really shocking that you cannot tell us and it’s not your fault,” replied Ald. Judy Fiske (1st). “Why aren’t we there to help her? We don’t know, and that’s not something that I think is acceptable.”

According to Community and Economic Development director Steve Griffin, the city received a $801,000 grant, three-thirds of which was given to Connections for the Homeless. However, aldermen said they want more oversight.

“All I can do is make this promise,” Griffin said. “We’ve heard you loud and clear.”

The next Human Service committee meeting will be held March 7.