City Council meeting preview

More than 1,000 people said they will attend Monday’s City Council meeting, according to a Facebook event created by Northwestern students. The Special City Council Meeting, which city and campus officials encouraged students to attend during last week’s town hall meeting at Norris University Center’s McCormick Auditorium, will discuss two Evanston issues after a public comment session.

After about 500 NU students attended Tuesday’s town hall meeting because of concerns over the implementation of the housing ordinance, the officials leading the meeting told students to come to the council meeting to talk to the aldermen directly. Those who wish to make a statement during the comment session must fill out a card in the lobby outside Council Chambers on the second floor of the Lorrain H. Morton Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave. The mayor will call citizens to a podium to briefly address the City Council.

After the public comment session, the aldermen will review contracts for a new 311 call center and emergency notification system at a Special City Council meeting Monday night, according to the meeting agenda posted on the city’s website.

The city will implement the 311 service on March 1, allowing residents to make non-emergency requests by phone or e-mail. City officials approved the service in the fall after community members proposed an efficient information system at a summer leadership summit.

City Manager Wally Bobkiewicz said the service will cost Evanston $600,000 a year. Some Evanston residents have criticized the 311 service on the basis of cost and necessity. In addition, subscribers to AT&T’s U-verse service must use the full 10-digit phone number to reach Evanston’s non-emergency services after March 1, according to Joe McRae, assistant to the city manager.

Aldermen will also consider approving a new mass notification system to be implemented on Tuesday. The company providing the safety alerts, Everbridge Inc., was selected by a competitive bid process and funded by a grant, according to an official memo.

The Special City Council meeting begins at 7 p.m.

– Dan Hill