Whitehouse: A Northwestern football fan abroad

When I decided to study abroad, I knew that I would miss my family and friends. What I didn’t anticipate was missing Wildcats football as much as I do. I’ve come to realize is just how much I’ve grown to love and be a fan of our team and program.

During the past two seasons, I’ve missed only four games. The 2008 season was spent in the student section, and in 2009, I had the privilege of covering the team on the sidelines for The Daily.

While working as photographer for The Daily, I observed the intensity and dedication of the players, coaches and staff to consistently produce a quality program. They go about their business the right way. The hard work this group has put in is evident: a winning football program with the second-highest graduation rate in the NCAA.

I miss seeing the players and coaches doing what they do best. I miss being around the celebrations after a touchdown. I miss snapping photos of President Schapiro on the sidelines cheering on the team.

Above all, I miss the atmosphere and camaraderie. Not surprisingly, in London there are very few people who share my passion for Wildcats football. My residence hall is full of British and international students who could care less about American football. Most of them care about the other “football.” You know, the one where you score goals and can’t use your hands.

What is worse is that I can’t watch the games on TV. Finding a pub that televises Northwestern football is harder than avoiding the jokes about the rule changes for the Wrigley Field game.

The ESPN streaming services that are free in the US cost, as Sir Charles Barkley would say, “ridiculous” amounts of money in the UK. I’ve been tempted to buy them, but it’s just not in the cards financially.

What to do? What to do? Every game day, I sit in my room and follow my beloved Wildcats on a host of old and new media sources: Twitter, WGN Radio AM 720, ESPN Gamecast and The Daily Northwestern live blog. I’ll admit it, using four different sources for the same information is a bit embarrassing, but it’s the best I can do without being at the game or watching on TV.

Last week against Iowa, as Persa led the Wildcats to another fourth-quarter touchdown, I was sure that the incredible victory would be the signature win of the year and the game I wished I had been at most.

I was wrong. Missing Saturday’s historic game at Wrigley Field has certainly taken the number one spot because Northwestern will likely never play football at Wrigley again. Not only as a Northwestern student, but also as a lifelong Chicagoan and Cubs fan, it’s an indescribable feeling to have missed that game.

Naturally, being in two places at once isn’t possible for me. I wouldn’t put it past Dan Persa, though.

Ray Whitehouse is a Medill junior currently studying abroad in London. He can be reached at [email protected].