Northwestern game at Wrigley to use only West end zone after safety concerns

The close quarters at Wrigley Field for Northwestern’s game against Illinois on Saturday have prompted the Big Ten to make a few rule changes, according to a news release sent out by the conference.

All plays on offense will head toward the West end zone, situated in front of the third base dugout at Wrigley. The ball will be repositioned to face that end zone after each change of possession.

Player safety concerns had been raised about the right field wall at the edge of the East end zone. Extra padding had been added to the brick and ivy-covered wall. All kickoffs will head toward that end zone.

NU’s student section is in the right field bleachers in the East end zone.

“The health and safety of our student-athletes is of the utmost importance,” Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said in the release. “Both Illinois and Northwestern did significant due diligence over the past 18 months, but after seeing the actual layout of the field, all parties felt that it was appropriate to adjust the rules to further enhance the safety of our student-athletes.”

Also, Illinois will take the West team bench for the first half and NU will take it for the second half and any overtime periods, as determined by a coin toss Friday morning. The teams will share a sideline due to the proportions of the field.