Whitehouse: Costs of Education

We attend college for a lot of different reasons. And while most people agree that college is a good idea, it is also very expensive – especially in England.

The British government has proposed an education spending reduction and subsequent tuition increase have raised the ire of students. With increasing frequency, students are protesting and voicing their concerns over proposed changes to education funding in England. I witnessed a flash mob first-hand on Friday.

The students held a “funeral for education” on University College London’s main quad, complete with a black casket that read “RIP Education,” flowers and black clothing. It was raining, but the students didn’t mind; it was fitting to have dreary weather for such an event.

In light of the recession, the British government is making comprehensive spending cuts. This includes a minimum 80 percent increase in tuition at elite schools, making it 2.5 times more expensive. Yep, 2.5 times. How many American students could afford to stay in school if that happened in the US? At Northwestern, that would mean an increase to almost $110,000 in annual tuition alone.

This is a misleading statistic in some ways because the current tuition in England is only about $5500. However, financial aid is relatively non-existent in England and students are expected to defray the costs with little help from their parents. Almost all students pay the “sticker-price” no matter their personal economic situation. Additionally, almost all English colleges and universities are public and charge the same fees. There is no low-cost option like community college.

I’m not directly affected by the fee increases that face English students, but I will support their protest on principle. Students in households making less than $45,000 will have less access to non-tuition related loans which helped cover miscellaneous expenses as well as books, meals, and school trips. This education maintenance allowance, which provides students with up to about $45 a week, will end; instead, schools will administer discretionary aid only and there will be less total aid available. Studies by BBC and the National Foundation for Educational Research show that low-income students will be less likely to continue their education because they won’t have access to such loans.

Greater tuition costs will also serve as a deterrent to prospective students unsure about how they can afford to pay back their loans. Many American students know about the prohibitive aspects of a high debt load. Life shouldn’t revolve around how you’re going to repay your loans, but more students will find themselves in this situation.

The changes in tuition will have the greatest impact on those who are currently struggling to find a way to pay for college – many of them will simply not be able to continue their education. Lower levels of education in the public will lead to less social diversity and mobility. Getting more people going to college should be the goal, because a well-educated population is good for society; for example, the correlation between lower crime and higher education is well-documented. The private sector – and the economy as a whole – benefits from a better-educated workforce.

Ray Whitehouse is a Medill junior currently studying abroad in London. He can be reached at [email protected].