Letter from the Editor: Help improve The Daily

Have you ever been frustrated at the types of story we cover and the way we cover them? Are there programs or groups or issues that you think we should be paying more attention to? Now is your opportunity to make your voice heard about our coverage of Northwestern and Evanston.

The Daily is launching an effort to better understand our audience. We want to know everything – who are our readers, where are they reading the paper, when are they reading it, for how long are they reading it and, most of all, what are they looking to read when they pick up the paper (or type in the URL).

Don’t worry; these efforts shouldn’t get in the way of what has always been the bread and butter of The Daily – our general news coverage of Northwestern and Evanston. But we do think it’s important to know what our readers want.

This effort will involve a variety of initiatives over the next several weeks and months. You’ll see continuous teasers on these pages, asking you to fill out surveys on our website. You may get an e-mail asking you to participate in a focus group. And don’t be surprised if you see us standing near distribution boxes with paper questionnaires for you to fill out.

We’re starting this week by seeking to answer a simple question: Who is reading our newspaper?

We’ve devised a simple, nine-question survey for our readers to answer that question.

Please spend two minutes to make your voice heard and help us to improve the product we produce every day.

Brian Rosenthal is Editor in Chief. He can be reached at [email protected].