Firing Squads: Website causes unhealthy addiction

Last Saturday I was sitting in Burger King, happily devouring my fries when a friend mentioned in passing something that they had seen on CollegeACB.com. I paused for a moment. I didn’t know what that website was, but I wasn’t sure I cared.

I then made perhaps the worst decision of my freshman year so far.

“What’s that?” I asked, innocently enough.

From that point on, disaster reigned. I was informed that it was a gossip site for college students nationwide that features anonymous, school-specific threads about a variety of topics. When I went on College ACB later that night, it was all over. I was hooked, and homework was a thing of the past.

Read Rousseau or look at what people said was the dirtiest thing they’ve seen at a party? No contest. Take on 100 pages of Anna Karenina or follow the latest debate over whether frat rankings are worth the time? Not even fair. Now, my grades are on the brink. Friends are judging me. But I just can’t stop. And I hate myself for it every time because, honestly, that site is full of trash. Like Miley Cyrus trash. But that’s kind of the point. I mean, we all know the words to “Party in the USA.”

So if I had a wish to change anything from the last three months, it would be to never hear of that awful website. And to tell that stupid friend to shove it. My life would be a lot better.

Thomas Meyer is a Daily staffer. He can be reached at [email protected]