Women’s Soccer: No Big Ten tourney for soccer team

This year, close games have swung away from Northwestern.

NU’s loss at Wisconsin on Monday night was the first time the team dropped a game by more than one goal all season. Of the 11 games decided by one goal this year, the Wildcats have been on the losing side eight times.

The difference between a win and a loss has been narrow for the Cats, adding to the sense they’re on the brink of turning things around. The frustration is it hasn’t happened this year.

“We’ve played well in almost every single game,” coach Stephanie Foster said. “I don’t think we played well on Monday night, but every other game, we’ve been in very tight games, and we just haven’t gotten the results.”

NU (6-9-3, 2-6-1 Big Ten) travels to No. 16 Illinois (12-4-1, 5-3-1) on Saturday for its final game of the regular season and very likely its last of 2010, as the Cats have little chance of making the NCAA Tournament. The Big Ten does not have a conference tournament for women’s soccer.

The Fighting Illini are seeking their best possible position for the NCAA draw and will be celebrating senior night, giving them extra motivation, Foster said.

Illinois, like NU, goes into the game coming off a defeat, losing 3-2 to Michigan.

“We’ve seen Michigan just come out with a lot of pressure,” senior defender Ally Arca said. “We’re hoping to do the same thing and hopefully upset them.”

A win over Illinois wouldn’t be NU’s biggest upset of the season – NU toppled then-No. 3 UCLA on Aug. 29 for its biggest win in program history.

But it would mark a reversal in fortune for a team that lost in close contests against Big Ten title contenders No. 23 Ohio State and Penn State, who are both above Illinois in the conference table.

“We know that we’ve gotten better this year, and we’re very close to tipping things,” Foster said. “Saturday night can start that for us.”

With a game left, the Cats have a nearly identical record to their 6-10-2 finish last year. They have conceded 21 goals in 18 games, placing them seventh in the Big Ten in that category, and have scored 20 goals. Only Wisconsin has scored fewer goals.

“I don’t think our record reflects how good we are,” Foster said. “It was very hard for us to score goals again this year. But I do think we’re close, and we have young talent. We have more young talent coming in next year. So, I’m probably more optimistic than I’ve ever been heading into the next season.”

Senior midfielder Leigh Jakes said the UCLA win showed the promise of the younger players. Only three of the starters from that game will not be returning next year.

“When we beat UCLA earlier this season, I was injured and didn’t get to play,” Jakes said. “But I felt like I was leaving the team in good hands, just watching them play with so much heart and so much talent.”

But for Jakes and seniors Arca, Colleen Antas, Jennifer Baumann, Carolyn Edwards and Sam Greene, Saturday’s matchup will be their last time representing NU. Senior Alison Schneeman will be returning for another season.

“When it comes down to the end, you realize this is your last everything, and you start cherishing it more,” Jakes said. “One thing I wasn’t expecting was to care this much going into it. I’m so grateful for the opportunity I’ve had so far, and I’m excited to close out the season.”