[WSOCC 11/8] Women’s soccer:

In many ways, Northwestern’s 1-0 loss to No. 16 Illinois typified its season.

A late heartbreaking goal. A single tally costing NU the game. Not putting away chances.

“They got a chance, they converted. We had multiple chances and we didn’t,” coach Stephanie Foster said. “That’s just been the story of the season for us.”

The Wildcats (6-10-3, 2-7-1 Big Ten) closed their regular season with the loss Saturday night at Illinois (13-4-1, 6-3-1), who are all but certain to make the 64-team NCAA Tournament. With the Big Ten Tournament disbanded in 2008, the Cats have likely played their last game of the year.

Six minutes from the end of a goalless contest, Illinois forward Niki Read scored the game-winner to nullify the need for overtime.

It was the latest in a string of late goals that have dropped the Cats in Big Ten matchups this year against Purdue, Ohio State and Michigan State.

“I’d like to think that it’s bad luck,” senior goalkeeper Carolyn Edwards said. “It’s really unfortunate that we couldn’t hold (Illinois) off. I don’t know why but it’s something that has happened a few times.”

NU and Illinois were evenly matched in shots throughout the game. Illinois had eight shots in the first period to NU’s seven. Both teams took eight shots each in the second half, but it was Illinois who made theirs count.

“We clearly need to learn how to get the ball in the back of the net,” said senior defender Alison Schneeman, who will return as a fifth-year senior next year. “That’s something we had to struggle with all season.”

It was the fifth game of the conference schedule and sixth overall in which the Cats were shutout. In 19 games this season, they scored 20 goals to their opponents’ 22.

“We have to score goals, that was just really clear,” Foster said. “It wasn’t enough in 1-0 games. We got shut out way too many times, so I think that’s going to be a huge focus for us. It’s been a theme for a long time.”

Even with the efforts of freshman forward Kate Allen, who led the team with six goals, NU’s final goal tally is marginally better than the 15 it scored last season.

Entering the Big Ten season, the Cats held a 4-3-2 record, going 1-2 against ranked opponents. They began their conference schedule with a 1-0 win at Indiana, but lost to Purdue two days later to an 84th minute goal. The Cats then went four games without a win.

“We put a schedule together that was going to require us to come out on top in really even and tight games,” Foster said. “And I just think we got a little bit on a spiral the Big Ten season. It was a lack of confidence to get over the hump in each of those games.”

The team’s expectations at the start of the season were to make the NCAA Tournament, finish in the top half of the Big Ten and have a winning record, Edwards said. None of those have been met, but Edwards, who ended her career having played more minutes than all but two players in school history, said that will not be the lasting memory of her time at NU.

“The things that I’ll look back on are what I’ve learned with these people, not the fact that we didn’t get a winning record,” Edwards said. “It’s disappointing we didn’t get there because I thought we had the personnel to do it. But I’m happy with my career. It’s been a great experience.”