Women’s Soccer: Late goal sinks Northwestern against Michigan State

After falling to an overtime goal against Ohio State last week, a late goal cost Northwestern yet another game, this time against Michigan State.

The Spartans (9-3-2, 3-1-1 Big Ten) struck with 13 minutes remaining to hand the Wildcats (5-7-3, 1-4-1) a 1-0 defeat on Sunday in East Lansing. It was a crushing blow to the Cats, who had defended with resilience all game.

“It’s hard to lose that game when you’re keeping them in check for 90 minutes,” coach Stephanie Foster said.

Senior defender Ally Arca had the unenviable task of marking Michigan State’s all-time leading goal-scorer, forward Laura Heyboer. She entered the game as the top marksman in Michigan State history, having netted her 38th and record-tying-39th goals at Oakland (Mich.) on Thursday.

“It was pretty difficult,” Arca said. “But coming into it I knew that was my job and that if there’s one thing you’re focused on, it’s easier to be disciplined about it. She’s a really great player, but we limited her chances and that made a big difference for us.”

Arca tailed Heyboer, giving her little space. Heyboer managed one shot in the entire game.

“She was unbelievable,” Foster said of Arca. “She also did not have one foul called against her. When it comes to marking, she’s one of the best I’ve ever coached.It’s very tiring, and it’s almost impossible not to lose (Heyboer).”

In the 40th minute, Heyboer demonstrated her goal-scoring prowess with Michigan State’s best chance in the first half. Arca misjudged the bounce of a cross and the ball fell to Heyboer. Unmarked, she instinctively kicked the ball over senior goalkeeper Carolyn Edwards and into the net. The linesman’s flag was up to reprieve the Cats as Heyboer was caught offside.

“I think as a unit, the backline did awesome,” senior defender Alison Schneeman said. “We had specific goals that we tried to stick to and it showed in the game. We really just wanted to keep Michigan State in front of us. We man-marked (Heyboer), which was a great tactic.”

Though they were outshot by the Cats, the Spartans had eight corner kicks to NU’s one and they made that attacking advantage count. In the 77th minute, Michigan State forward Cara Freeman headed a corner kick into the NU six-yard box. Forward Olivia Stander reacted quickest, flicking the ball past Edwards.

The Cats responded with a substitution – senior midfielder Sam Greene came on for junior midfielder Nicole Duller – and it almost paid off immediately. Greene hit an overhead kick that was tame enough for Spartans goalkeeper Jill Flietstra to corral. Michigan State wound down the remaining six minutes of the game to earn the win.

“I thought we defended them very well,” Foster said. “They’re a very dangerous team and in the run of play, I didn’t think they got that many dangerous chances. I thought we created chances and we didn’t finish them. It’s heartbreaking to lose and know that we’re right there.”