Presentation at Sheil Catholic Center helps students perfect the art of the handshake

A Wednesday night presentation at Sheil Catholic Center provided a crash course in etiquette, including introduction protocol, common etiquette mistakes and appropriate interview attire.

“Etiquette and Professional Presence – Skills for a Lifetime” was conducted by Tricia Cook of Patricia Cook & Associates and sponsored by Sheil.

“First impressions are made within the first four to seven seconds of meeting someone,” Cook told the 30-person crowd. “Judgments take seconds to make and hours to change.”

Cook, who worked as a recruiter and commercial lender before becoming an image and etiquette consultant, used activities and skits to engage the audience and relay her tips about proper conduct in professional situations. She emphasized the importance of standing up when meeting new people, maintaining appropriate eye contact and perfecting a handshake that strikes the balance between too weak and too bold.

“It’s a tough economy out there, so control what you can,” Cook said. “And you can control your personal brand and the impressions you make.”

Cook issued a special caveat against disrespectful cell phone usage, which she described as a “generational issue.”

“Anytime you pull out your phone, you’re telling the people you are with that they don’t matter,” Cook said.

Much of the presentation was devoted to discussing proper business attire. Margaret McLaughlin, Communication ‘07,said she is seeking a job in theater and was surprised to hear just what an important role appearance plays in making first impressions.

“The presentation was a good reinforcement of common sense best practices,” McLaughlin said. “And I learned that I need to go buy a suit.”

McCormick sophomore Ethan Romba said he learned about Cook’s presentation during Sunday Mass at Sheil.

“I came because I didn’t feel like any similar programs were being offered by (University Career Services) or McCormick, or other places at Northwestern,” Romba said. “I wanted to learn how to be more comfortable in a professional environment and how to carry on conversation with distinguished professionals.”

Cook said her most important tip for creating comfortable conversation is to keep up with current events.

“Even if you’re a math major, you need to know what’s going on in the news,” Cook said. “It’s important to be able to talk about anything, not just the weather.”

Cook’s presentation was part of the Sheil Mentoring Program, which aims to connect students with adult associates of Sheil who can help them reach their career goals, said Sheil Campus Minister Beth Knobbe.

“Students learn a lot of academic, head knowledge in the classroom, but there aren’t a lot of opportunities to learn the softer professional skills, like handshakes,” Knobbe said. “Sheil provides a safe community to ask questions, practice professional skills, and receive constructive feedback.”