New Vice President for alumni relations announced

Bob McQuinn will serve as Northwestern’s new vice president for the Office of Alumni Relations and Development, administrators announced Friday.

The position was formerly held by Sarah Pearson, now NU’s chief strategist for institutional partnerships. Pearson’s position, which was recently created, was announced by University President Morton O. Schapiro on Sept. 10. It will include a “focus on building inter-institutional partnerships nationally and internationally,” according to Schapiro’s announcement.

McQuinn was associate vice president for development at California Institute of Technology, according to his LinkedIn profile. He has also served in development positions at Williams College, the University of Southern California and Whittier College.

McQuinn has followed Schapiro since both were employed at USC. Schapiro was the dean of the school’s College of Letters, Arts & Sciences from 1994 to 2000, and vice president for planning between 1999 and 2000, according to Forbes. McQuinn was the senior associate dean for external affairs at the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences from November 1997 to January 2001.

Between January 2001 and June 2001 McQuinn was associate vice president at Williams, which coincided with Schapiro’s tenure as the college’s president. According to an NU press release, McQuinn planned a fundraising campaign at Williams, which ultimately raised more than $500 million for the school. He also worked on a $1.4 billion campaign while at Caltech.

McQuinn will begin work at NU later this month.