Freshmen fuel NU’s 2010 campaign

With this year’s freshman squad, there hasn’t been much time for baby steps.

Consistently starting five newcomers, No. 9 Northwestern needs its freshmen to hit their stride quickly and keep up with veterans like all-time leading goal scorer Matt Eliason.

So far they have done just that, notching two goals and five assists collectively.

“They have been asked to come and play right away in a big way,” coach Tim Lenahan said. “And I would have to say that they’ve done that very, very well. They are really blending with the older guys.”

The Wildcats (3-3) will still look to a strong returning base including senior captains Eliason and Cody Stanley to lead the charge for a deep run in the NCAA tournament. After dropping a 1-0 decision to No. 8 Tulsa in the third round of the NCAA Tournament last season, NU failed to earn what would have been a second-consecutive bid in the quarterfinals.

Lenahan brought in a strong freshman class to replace an elite core of graduated seniors, including All-American defender Mark Blades, who led the Cats to two quarterfinal appearances during their tenure. Lenahan said even this early in the season, the team’s performance can determine how things will play out come December, so he’s not letting up on the young squad.

“These are not throw-away games,” Lenahan said. “What we do or don’t right now will come back to haunt us later on and determine where we finish. Everyone’s a part of that, freshmen, seniors, whatever.”

One early standout has been highly touted recruit Lepe Seetane. The midfielder is any defender’s worst nightmare – despite his 5-foot-2 stature – as he relies on cunning footwork and quickness, and playing cat and mouse with larger defenders as he deftly distributes the ball.

“The college game is so different from high school. I have to play around people more,” Seetane said. “Everyone is bigger, and everything moves so much faster, so much quicker. You don’t have time to think; you’ve got to make that quick pass. I’m still learning that.”

Seetane’s learning curve has hardly been steep, as he has already notched one goal and has had an important play-making role up front. Along with freshman forward Reed Losee, who posted one goal and two assists in the preseason, Seetane has helped to fuel an otherwise seasoned offense.

Junior Oliver Kupe has been the beneficiary of many of Seetane’s passes, as he leads the team with three goals. Kupe’s most recent goal gave NU the initial edge in a 2-0 win over Gonzaga.

Kupe will collaborate up top with Eliason, who earned all-time leading scorer honors after scoring his 31st goal in a win against Oregon State.

“As seniors and upperclassmen we’ve really got to take on a big leadership role now,” Eliason said after a narrow 1-0 loss to Holy Cross on Sunday. “We’ve got the talent in the freshmen, but the older guys have to show them how it’s done and help them through the season.”

In the back line, Stanley will help to defend junior Drew Kotler who replaces graduated standout Misha Rosenthal in goal. So far Kotler has posted two shutouts and let in three goals on his watch.

Rounding out the defense is newcomer Lucas Swertloff, whose speed also makes him a threat on the counter.

“I think we’ve got what it takes all over the field to attack and defend effectively,” Lenahan said. “We can’t make youth an excuse. We’ve got to be accountable for our performance every game.”