Live: Northwestern takes on Vanderbilt in season opener

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Northwestern fans, your eight-month wait is finally over.

The Wildcats (8-5 in 2009) start their 2010 campaign down in the Music City against Vanderbilt (2-10), with the kickoff set for 6:30 CT.

Check out The Daily’s preview of today’s game, follow The Daily on Twitter and stay tuned to our website for live coverage from Vanderbilt Stadium.

Daily Sports Editor Andrew Scoggin and Managing Editor Ben Geier will update the liveblog with play-by-play and analysis.

Read updates on each quarter of action below.

First Quarter update from Jonah Rosenblum:

A  mostly dominant start to 2010 for the Cats, who lead 10-0 after fifteen minutes.

The quarter didn’t get off to a good start, with Vanderbilt’s Eric Samuels taking the opening kick 44 yards. The Commodores benefited from a couple of good runs by star tailback Warren Norman, but the drive stalled in Wildcat territory and the Commodores were forced to punt. 

The Cats marched 80 yards down the field, led by several successful Dan Persa scrambles. The drive stalled, and Stefan Demos hit a 26-yard field goal to put Northwestern up 3-0.

NU caught a break on the next kickoff as Zac Stacy fumbled the return and the Commodores were only able to bring the ball to the 7-yard line. The Cats forced a quick three and out, getting the ball back in great field position. After showing off his legs on the team’s first drive, Persa showed off his arm on the second, with two big passes to Jeremy Ebert, the second a 39 yard touchdown pass.

Persa has looked strong with good mobility in the pocket. He went 4-for-4 in the first quarter with 58 yards passing and a touchdown. He also leads the team with 54 rushing yards.

The Cats’ running backs have yet to get anything going. Jacob Schmidt and Arby Fields have combined for 10 yards on six attempts. The total yardage count is actually fairly close between the two teams, but the Cats’ defense has come up clutch, holding the Commodores to 1-of-4 on 3rd down conversions.

Second Quarter:

With darkness descending in Nashville, both teams struggled on offense. NU finally got a bit of a drive going, with several strong scrambles by Persa, and the Cats found themselves at midfield, but a big sack by Colt Nichter ended that drive.

A later NU drive ended abruptly, as a big fumble by Dan Persa gave momentum and the ball back to the Commodores.

Vanderbilt took advantage, as Larry Smith was finally able to complete a deep pass, throwing 37 yards to Turner Wimberly. On 3rd and 1 at the Cats 6-yard line, the Commodores managed to convert and Warren Norman capped off the drive with a four-yard score to put Vanderbilt on the board.

Vanderbilt was unable to convert the point-after attempt, and with just over two minutes remaining, the Cats lead was down to 10-6.

NU failed to do anything with the ball and Vanderbilt got the ball back with less than a minute remaining. Smith completed a couple big passes and a late-hit penalty on Justan Vaughn gave Vanderbilt the ball on the Cats’ 22 with 10 seconds remaining. A pass to Brandon Barden put the ball on the 12-yard-line with six seconds remaining, and Ryan Fowler hit a 30 yard field goal to make it a one-point game going into halftime: NU 10, Vanderbilt 9.

Vanderbilt’s offense came together towards the end of the first half. The rushing attack, led by Warren Norman and Zac Stacy, was strong throughout. Smith had some success scrambling and the Commodores ended the half with 100 yards rushing, averaging nearly five yards a carry. Smith also began to hit a groove passing the ball in the final few minutes, especially on the final drive of the half.

Persa completed 7-of-8 passes for 98 yards and a touchdown, but his fumble at midfield opened the gates and gave Vanderbilt the momentum they needed to end the half with nine unanswered points.

Jeremy Ebert had a huge first half, leading all players with 80 receiving yards. No other NU receiver has more than seven yards.

Aside from Persa, the Cats continue to struggle running the ball. The longest rush for an NU tailback was an 8-yard burst by Stephen Simmons. Schmidt and  Fields have combined for just 20 yards on 12 carries, averaging less than two yards per carry.

On special teams, Stefan Demos has been perfect and Brandon Williams has had a strong game, averaging 44.5 yards per punt, downing two out of four inside the 20.

Third Quarter:

The turning point of the third quarter came midway through the quarter with the Commodores driving. Justan Vaughn picked off an errant Larry Smith pass and ran it back to the Cats’ 46-yard line. A second turning point came on 3rd and 7 when Persa threw a ball off a Vanderbilt defender and into the hands of Demetrius Fields for the 1st down.

NU took advantage, and on 1st and goal, Persa completed a pass to Drake Dunsmore in the end zone for the touchdown. The PAT gave Northwestern an eight-point lead, and a little momentum.

Vanderbilt then put up a 71-yard drive, bookended by two huge plays. Kennard Greene began the drive with a 20-yard run and on third and long, Smith completed a 36 yard touchdown pass, to draw within 17-15. Smith was stuffed on the two-point conversion, and the Wildcats held onto their lead.

NU responded with a couple big plays to Jeremy Ebert, a 16-yard pass from Persa, and an 11-yard run on a reverse. The quarter ended with a key 3rd and 1 play coming up for NU on the Vanderbilt 36-yard line.