Baseball: Sophomore Rowan relishes new role as leftfielder for Cats

Last weekend at Illinois, sophomore Geoff Rowan slammed face first into the left field wall and fell to the ground.

Senior catcher Chad Noble instantly thought of Jake Goebbert, who suffered a season-ending kidney laceration after pummeling hard against the left field wall in a game against Minnesota last year. He could only hope the outcome wasn’t the same for Rowan.

Freshman centerfielder Arby Fields said he kept yelling “wall” to his teammate, who was chasing after a home run. But Rowan didn’t hear Fields shouting until it was too late. So there Rowan landed, in the dirt of the warning track. Fields and sophomore right fielder Chris Kontos ran over to their outfield partner, concerned he had been hurt.

But almost as quickly as he fell, Rowan jumped back up and flashed a smile at Fields, saying, “Dude, I’m alright!” Rowan said he was more worried about finding his hat, which had fallen off.

“That’s the reason I like Geoff,” Fields said. “Me, I’d probably be pissed, like ‘Arby, why didn’t you scream loud enough?'”

But Rowan won’t be yelling at anybody any time soon. Fields said he has never seen the Naperville, Ill., native in a bad mood. Coach Paul Stevens said Rowan uses his energetic enthusiasm to help elevate the team to the best they can be. And the sophomore’s attitude epitomizes the perseverence Stevens is proud of in his players. In his fifth at-bat on April 10 at Penn State, Rowan brought home the go-ahead run for Northwestern in the 11th inning. Stevens recalled the line-drive double with a smile, describing it as “that hit into the night that landed just on the inside of the line.” The skipper said Rowan’s smile was priceless at the end of that game, which the Wildcats went on to win 3-2.

Rowan said his smile is his mom’s favorite attribute of his. She often tells him how much she loves to see him smiling and having fun while playing the game he loves. Rowan likes to take that smile his mom adores and share the wealth by meeting as many new people as possible. Stevens remembered Rowan having met everybody in his dorm after the first week or two of classes his freshman year. “Everywhere, people said, ‘Hey, that’s Geoff Rowan, I met Geoff!'” Stevens said.

Rowan’s outgoing ways are deeply rooted. With his dad coming from a family of 14, Rowan’s family reunions are jam-packed. Rowan said his many family members have taught him “there’s no room to be shy.” The 5-foot-9, 180-pounder gave some words of wisdom: You can learn more about yourself from learning about others.

“I like to think there’s something interesting about every person you encounter,” Rowan said. “If you pass up those encounters, you miss part of your life.”

Rowan prefers not to pass anything up, whether it be meeting a new person or playing the hardest he can on the field. He always keeps in mind one of his mom’s sayings: “If you’re not dirty, you didn’t play hard enough.” And Rowan said he loves getting dirty.

“If I’m out there, I’m going to dive,” the sophomore said. “I make sure my jersey’s dirty at the end of the game.”

Fields said he likes playing alongside Rowan because the left fielder gives “110 percent” every time he’s out on the field or in the batter’s box. Rowan’s gumption in the outfield is particularly significant considering it’s not the position where he feels most comfortable. He was originally more of a utility player who would help the Cats when they needed him. So when Noble dislocated a finger on his throwing hand in Las Vegas in early March, Rowan was the go-to catcher. While filling in for Noble, Rowan showed the team he could produce offensively, hitting at least .500 in three of his first four games in the starting lineup. When Noble was ready to resume his role as the everyday starter April 2 against Ohio State, Stevens couldn’t justify taking Rowan out of the lineup. So he put Rowan at left field, where he had played some games in high school.

“Even if that’s not his natural position, he goes out there and tries hard,” Fields said. “You wouldn’t be able to look out there and tell that he doesn’t belong there. I’m not saying he’s perfect every time he goes out, but I like playing alongside him because I know I don’t really have to worry about him too much. Geoff picks up on everything pretty quick, he’s a smart kid.”

Stevens said Noble’s injury might have been the best thing that could have happened to Rowan. Noble said Rowan has “been hitting like crazy” since the senior dislocated his finger. The catcher said there’s still no reason to consider taking Rowan, who has hit .288 in conference play, out of the lineup.

Rowan said he loves that he’s been able to play every day, especially through the Big Ten season. Looking toward NU’s series with Indiana this weekend at Rocky Miller Park, Rowan said he’s excited, most notably because one of his high school teammates, Mike McKinley, pitches out of the pen for the Hoosiers.

“I’m looking forward to playing against him in college now and kind of getting my shot,” Rowan said.