Baseball: Stevens and Co. play small ball, take down Maroons

Northwestern has developed a taste for the comeback. After rallying from a two-run deficit against Illinois and a 7-2 deficit against Valparaiso, the Wildcats came back from a four-run hole Wednesday to defeat the University of Chicago, 14-5.

“When we fall behind, we don’t really worry about it,” sophomore shortstop Trevor Stevens said. “Our pitching is going to keep us in games and the offense is going to come around.”

While NU (20-25) has relied on power recently, Stevens’ first-inning home run was the only long ball Wednesday. Instead, the Cats played small ball and relied on patience at the plate, recording 15 hits and eight walks.

“Sometimes, my offense becomes offensive to me because we don’t have the patience that we showed today, ” coach Paul Stevens said. “Today, they weren’t offensive to me. They were very disciplined, stayed within themselves and did a lot of good things. They capitalized on a couple mistakes, and you can’t walk that many people without paying the price.”

Behind 5-1 in the second, the Cats put up two runs and added another in the third to take a one-run lead. Then NU posted four runs in the fifth inning.

“Anytime you can put up crooked numbers, you’re going to be a little ahead of the game,” Stevens said. “I don’t like those perfectly round zeroes. I don’t like the sticks. If we can do crooked numbers, I’m a real happy camper.”

Tuesday’s hero, Paul Snieder, had another big game Wednesday. His double in the fifth led to a four-run inning and his leadoff two-bagger in the seventh helped lead to another four-run frame.

“Paul Snieder hasn’t had a single since (we played the) University of Illinois,” Trevor Stevens said. “He’s just been hitting doubles and home runs.”

The Cats’ strong seventh inning turned a competitive 8-5 game into a blowout.

“I like what our team is doing as a whole,” Paul Stevens said. “It’s not just one person. There are a few guys that are standing out, but make no mistake, it’s not one guy because if it was, they’re pitching around people. There’s a lot of guys coming through with some big hits.”

On the hill, Luke Farrell struggled in the early going, giving up five runs on eight hits in the first two innings. But he eventually settled down, putting up zeroes in the third and fourth.Sophomore Quentin Williams relieved Farrell and picked up his first career win, giving up just two hits and a walk in two innings of work.

“My change up finally started working for me,” Williams said. “I started using my curve ball even more than usual. Everything is starting to work, but I’m nowhere near where I want to be.”

Matt Gailey finished the day on the mound, pitching a perfect ninth.

“He’s been keeping people off-balance and makes them put it in play,” Paul Stevens said. “And, oh yeah, he gets out of an inning with nobody on and nobody scoring. That’s what I love about Matt Gailey.”

After starting the season 6-19, NU has won three straight and 10 of 13. After recording 14 wins all of last year, the Cats have 20 wins on the season.

“I’m not a fan of losing and last year put a sour taste in my mouth,” Williams said. “Last year put a sour taste in everyone’s mouths, so this year we really wanted to do something.”[email protected]