Chappatta: Bullish about Chicago’s bright future

All things considered, the Chicago Bulls have to consider their season a success. They had injuries to their star players throughout the year and reoccurring controversy surrounding coach Vinny Del Negro. No one expected them to make the playoffs.

The best part about low expectations? It’s easy to exceed them.

The Bulls made the playoffs and put up a fight, taking one game and almost another before bowing out of the postseason after Tuesday’s Game Five. Analysts praised the Bulls’ resiliency. They performed better than any commentators expected.

For Chicago, 2010 free agency is here and expectations are through the roof.

Who should the Bulls pick up to complement stars Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah? Should they pursue an all-Chicago native backcourt by snagging Dwyane Wade? Should they finally get a legitimate power forward in Chris Bosh? Or should they try to rake in the jackpot, the man who nearly single-handedly eliminated them from the playoffs, LeBron James?

I know it’s dangerous to get my hopes up, especially considering the track record of this front office in getting big-name players. But after the Bulls’ display of passion in the playoffs, I’m only more bullish Jerry Reinsdorf, Gar Forman and John Paxson will get their man this time.

I was probably among the happiest in Chicago when I heard the Pistons signed one of the Bulls three “core” players-Ben Gordon-last offseason.

Now it’s time for the Bulls to part ways with the other two, Kurt Heinrich and Luol Deng.

In terms of trade value, the team could hardly have asked for a better postseason from Hinrich and Deng. Hinrich-drafted in the same class as James, Wade and Bosh-put up 27 points in the Bulls’ lone postseason wub, proving he can still be a starting point guard in the NBA. Deng finally showed he could create for himself off the dribble, averaging almost 19 points and five rebounds per game.

The duo’s 2009-10 salaries combine to total nearly $20 million, according to ESPN.com. That’s a lot of money locked up in the Bulls’ No. 3 and 4 players. A proven star player is always greater than two mediocre ones. Hence the Cavaliers are moving on.

I can’t imagine any free agents are going to adhere to Kobe Bryant’s previous demand of keeping Deng on the squad. Rose and Noah are the only cornerstones this team needs. Rose averaged 27 points and seven assists per game in the playoffs, while Noah averaged 15 points and an astounding 13 rebounds. No other team can offer two young stars who are as promising.

“They have a group of young talent that loves to play the game of basketball and they play hard,” James said, according to ESPN Chicago. “There was not one point where they kind of laid down.”

That’s the type of squad players like Bosh and Wade should be looking for to rejuvenate their games and their chances at a championship. Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen went to Boston and immediately won a title. No Kryptonite held Shaquille O’Neal down when starring next to Wade in Miami.

The Bulls have always seemed to be one piece away from elite status. Reinsdorf and Co. failed to get Pau Gasol, Garnett, Bryant, or anyone when the “core” was at its prime. As a result, the team went one-and-out every year in the playoffs.

The Bulls’ front office executives lucked out when Rose fell into their laps. Now they can make their own luck and do something to show the fans they are committed to winning.

I don’t care if Del Negro stays or goes. I don’t care what players they have to get rid of. They’ve cleared up the cap space. The Bulls have no excuse not to land a superstar and meet the bullish expectations.

If they don’t, fire the whole front office. Because that’s bull.

Assistant Sports Editor Brian Chappatta is a Medill junior. He can be reached at [email protected].