Juniors Mabin, Peters lead young NU secondary

After three years of stability, 2010 will bring a changing of the guard in Northwestern’s secondary.

NU will look to junior cornerback Jordan Mabin this year to be the stronghold of what has been a transient defense.

“I’ve been there so that goes to helping the younger guys,” Mabin said. “I can tell them what it’s like when the bullets are flying.”

In 2009, NU graduated its secondary trifecta of cornerback Sherrick McManis, and safeties Brad Phillips and Brendan Smith, leaving Mabin as the only returning starter. But because McManis, Phillips and Smith were each sidelined for parts of last year with injuries, the rising group of cornerbacks and safeties has plenty of experience. Brian Peters is the second-most experienced returner after Mabin, as the junior played in all 13 games last year and started five. He finished the season fifth on the team with 67 tackles. Senior cornerback Justan Vaughn, junior cornerback Ricky Weina and sophomore safety Jared Carpenter each made one start last year. The trio consistently rotated into the lineup but rarely saw playing time as a unit.

There is also a pair of newcomers in the defensive backfield this year, as juniors Jeravin Matthews and David Arnold are moving in after playing wide receiver and linebacker, respectively. While Arnold was recruited as a safety before moving to linebacker, this will be Matthews’ first year on defense. Matthews has been an all-purpose player for the Cats, switching from wide receiver to running back to cornerback in his first three years.

Defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz said the coaching staff liked what they saw from Matthews on special teams and thought his skills would transfer to cornerback.

“Jeravin has excellent speed and change of direction,” Hankwitz said. “And as a corner you’re going to cover a lot of that space. You want guys who have that recovery speed and that break.”

Matthews made the switch in the period after the 2009 season but before the Outback Bowl. For Matthews, the opprtunity to practice with McManis, Phillips and Smith was invaluable.

“It was so important being around guys who had so much experience,” Matthews said. “It was just nice to take snapshots and really get a chance to see them and watch how they play and watch how they work. They definitely left me with some really good knowledge and a good place to start.”

With plenty of options in the backfield, no one is guaranteed a starting spot.

“Everybody has their strengths and their weaknesses, but for the most part, we’re all out there just trying to prove, not only to ourselves and the team, but to the coaches that we can play,” Vaughn said. “Wherever we end up is wherever we end up, but we’re all fighting to get that starting spot.”

For Mabin, the challenge will be to share his experience with the new lineup, whoever it may include.

“A lot of the guys are new back there and you might get beat once, but you’ve got to forget it, knock it out of your head and play with confidence,” he said.