Grayhack: Presidents should make Big Ten bigger

As University President Morton O. Schapiro flies to Washington for the Association of American Universities Conference, the buzz concentrates not on academics but rather the expansion of the Big Ten into a college football super conference. When I first heard of Big Ten expansion I was skeptical, mostly because I feared Notre Dame would join up. As a Chicagoland native I am forced to hate the Domermaniacs. I was also initially opposed to the idea because with more teams in the conference, NU would have less of a chance at winning a Big Ten title. But recently my eyes have been opened to the advantages of such an expansion.

More teams would mean millions of dollars for NU from broadcasting fees and the Big Ten Championship game at either Lucas Oil Stadium or Soldier Field. These dollars could be used for good at a research university of NU’s quality. Perhaps some money could go to the athletic department. Imagine what Jim Phillip’s adept staff could do with this money to generate further revenue and perhaps tap into Chicago’s rich football market. If this money could be used to increase the fan base in any way, then expansion is a great idea for the NU.

Now the questions become, “What schools?” and, “How big do we want to get?” I would aim for a 14-team league, because 12 squads puts the conference on the same level as the Big 12 and the SEC, and the Big Ten should strive to be on a tier above everyone else. The first team the conference should invite is-unfortunately-Notre Dame. Though they are an overrated and annoying bunch, the Fighting Irish have one of the largest fan bases in the country, and they would boost revenue significantly.

The next two teams aren’t as obvious as Notre Dame, but the Big Ten should look to Missouri and Nebraska. Missouri opens up the St. Louis area while the Cornhuskers bring in the football-crazed state of Nebraska. You may say, “Why would that matter?” Though Nebraska does not have an overly dense population, nearly every person who lives in that state is a Cornhuskers fan, as evidenced by their ability to fill Memorial Stadium with 74,000 fans every weekend. Also, Nebraska has a storied tradition as a football powerhouse, and adding a team of that caliber will only increase conference prestige.

Now the only matter that remains is the name. I like the Fantastic 14.

Sports columnist Pat Grayhack is a Weinberg sophomore. He can be reached at [email protected].