Evanston receives Tree City USA award for 26th year

For the 26th year in a row, the City of Evanston has received the Tree City USA award.

The award, sponsored by the Arbor Day Foundation, goes to any city that meets the organization’s requirements: There must be a tree board or department, a tree care ordinance giving the board authority must be in place, the budget for the trees must be at least $2 per capita and the city must officially proclaim and observe Arbor Day.

Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl presented this year’s award to Paul D’Agostino, superintendent of the Parks/Forestry Division, at Tuesday’s Evanston City Council meeting.

“I’m pretty proud of it,” D’Agostino said. “I wasn’t around when we first got it, but I’ve maintained it since 1995, so it feels good.”

Evanston exceeds the minimum requirements in that its budget is about $10 per capita, D’Agostino said.

But that number appears to be shrinking, with the city budget for fiscal year 2010-11 trimming $155,300 from the Parks/Forestry Division. The City Council approved the cuts in February as part of wide-ranging funding reductions that closed a projected $9.5 million budget deficit.

In Illinois, 10 other communities have earned the Tree City USA award for more consecutive years than Evanston has, D’Agostino said. Going into this year, Highland Park and Lake Forest had earned this distinction for 29 years. Chicago had received the award 14 times.

Evanston also received the Tree City USA Growth Award this year for the 11th year in a row. To obtain this recognition, communities must complete certain activities, such as holding a tree care workshop, which Evanston did in August.

D’Agostino said he hopes to ensure that the city keeps receiving both awards.

Speaking of the Tree City USA honor, he said: “I’m hoping to still be around when we hit 30 years.”

– Erin Kim