Gender-neutral housing pilot locations chosen

Students wishing to live in gender-neutral housing in the 2010-11 school year will be placed in 1835 Hinman and Kemper Hall, student leaders said Tuesday.

The pilot plan, which will only be open to upperclassmen in 2010-11, will allot a part of the residences to be open to students to room together regardless of gender. It will help solve problems that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students may face in the residential housing system

(Read about the Gender Open Housing pilot program here.)

The locations were chosen because students asked for “a South Campus and preferably a North Campus location in a major dorm, integrated into the life of the dorm,” said Weinberg junior Caroline Perry, a leader in the student-led Gender Protection Initiative, in an e-mail Tuesday.

“Kemper has mixed-gender suites-though, until now, not mixed-gender rooms-for upperclassmen already, and the suites in 1835 Hinman have a good mix of singles and doubles within a single suite with its own bathrooms as well,” Perry said.

The rooms in 1835 Hinman will be filled first, Weinberg senior Pat Dawson said in a Facebook message to members of the Gender Protection Initiative Facebook group. Single and double rooms both will be available in Hinman.

Interested students should contact the Center for Student Involvement as soon as possible, Dawson said.

Check back for continued updates.