New Fisk Hall shuttle stop boosts access

Following a month-long correspondence between the Associated Student Government and University Services, the new shuttle stop added near Fisk Hall began operating after Spring Break.

All shuttles that turn right from Campus Drive to Sheridan Road make the new stop. It is an efficient addition because the stop has not increased route time or total route distance, said Tommy Smithburg, ASG vice president. ASG tries to keep shuttle services in most high density areas between 0.1 and 0.15 miles apart, roughly a three- to four-minute walk. Before the addition of the Fisk stop, students living at Jones Residential College or 1835 Hinman had to walk between 0.25 and 0.3 miles to reach the closest bus stop at Norris University Center or The Arch, respectively, he said.

“We thought that was unreasonable. … We definitely wanted to address that because there have been many complaints,” the Weinberg senior said. “Fortunately, the University took it to their ears and addressed it pretty quickly.”

Last year, ASG worked with University Services to rename the shuttle services, implement a GPS tracker on all Coach USA buses and reorganize the shuttle routes to make them more efficient. However, some problems continue to exist and ASG is working on them, said ASG President Mike McGee.

“We did not expect these changes to be perfect,” said the Communication senior. “But with any new technology there are going to be issues, and we have to respond to these issues.”

Since the changes were implemented last year, ridership at some stops has been up nearly 200 to 300 percent. Still, many students do not use the shuttle system, Smithburg said.

“We couldn’t be happier with the results, but we are still seeing 3,000 to 3,500 students still not using the shuttle system at all,” Smithburg said. “It’s not because they prefer to walk. It’s because they still see problems with the shuttle system.”

In March, ASG proposed additional changes to University Services to help make the shuttle system more efficient and attractive to students.

“We want to make sure that we are creating a shuttle system that all of the students can use,” Smithburg said.

ASG worked with ISBE Analytics to incorporate shuttle systems data and student feedback in the proposal. In addition to the Fisk stop, ASG has recommended a flag stop should be added at Pearson Street and Seneca Street by Water Tower on the intercampus route. The administration has voiced concerns about safety at that location, said Brian Peters, director of University Services.

“I am extremely pleased with the help they have given us and with the feedback we have received from the student body because it’s their shuttle routes,” Peters said. “I’m thrilled with how it’s worked out so far.”

According to the data prepared by ISBE, roughly 24 percent of students do not use the shuttles because they think they are unreliable. Because of this, ASG is hoping to educate students about the new shuttle services and address any questions or concerns students might have.

Part of the confusion may come from the slight delay in shuttle scheduling, Peters said. However, he explained, bus drivers have been instructed to stay two minutes behind schedule to allow students running late to catch the bus.

ASG has suggested University Services publish the statistics about shuttle services to break down the exaggerated claims and increase trust to boost student ridership, Smithburg said.

“The perception of the shuttles being unreliable is over-exaggerated,” Smithburg said. “This perception is probably one of the biggest barriers to usage.”