Gravity’ brings John Park down from his ‘American Idol’ journey

“After America’s vote the person leaving us tonight is John Park,” Ryan Seacrest said Thursday night on FOX’s “American Idol.”

Park, a Weinberg junior and member of Northwestern a cappella group Purple Haze, was voted off the show after singing his way past thousands of other competitors to become one of 20 finalists.

Weinberg freshman Meredith Young said she was shocked to hear the news.

“Didn’t everyone say he would absolutely win?” she said. “I heard him sing, and I’m impressed.”

Park sang “Gravity” by John Mayer Tuesday night and received mixed reactions from the judges. “American Idol” judge Kara DioGuardi said she thought he had a lot of potential and had improved since last week but needed to take more risks.Judge Simon Cowell wasn’t as positive.

“I think Purple Haze may get their lead singer back this week,” Cowell said.

Once he heard the news, Park told Seacrest the highlights of his time on “American Idol” included having Shania Twain compliment his “bottom half,” meeting the other contestants and working with the band. His parents were with him in Los Angeles and came out from backstage to watch him sing “Gravity” on Thursday night.

“It’s just an incredible opportunity he had to be part of the show in the first place,” Weinberg freshman Nickolas Kaplan said. “It’s also a credit to Northwestern.”

Communication junior Kim Castle said she was rooting for Park and was disappointed with the news.

“He seems like a young, energetic guy who would be popular with a wide audience,” she said. “Hopefully he can use this as a jumping-off point in his career.”[email protected]