Evanston joins EPA efficiency programs to fight climate change

Grace Johnson

Evanston joined the Environmental Protection Agency’s Community Climate Change Initiative, the city announced this week.

The city recently decided to participate in two EPA programs: the Energy Star Challenge and the WaterSense program. Energy Star advocates for energy efficient appliances, while WaterSense, a new program, promotes water efficient fixtures.

Evanston is now one of only 35 Midwestern communities taking part in the Community Climate Change Initiative.

“The decision was just that it was the right thing for us to do,” said David Stoneback, superintendent of the city’s water and sewer division. “We are concerned about having sufficient water supply for the next generation.”

Stoneback, along with the water and sewer department, plans to promote the program with an informational campaign involving booths at the farmer’s market and ecology center, he said.

There is a lot of confusion about water efficient fixtures, Stoneback said.

“When the low-volume toilets first came out they weren’t very good and needed to be flushed three or four times to work,” he said. “But these products are now strictly tested and will work with a low quantity of water. This is one misconception out there we have to correct.”

Evanston will be sending in annual reports about the program’s progress to the EPA, Stoneback said.

-GRACE JOHNSON