Breaking News: Weinberg sophomore’s death ruled suicide

Editor’s note: Follow the link below to check out a more developed and updated version of this story.

https://www.dailynorthwestern.com/weinberg-sophomore-s-death-ruled-suicide-1.2177202

The death of Rebecca Quint, a Weinberg sophomore whose body was discovered in her dorm room late Monday night, has been ruled a suicide, a representative from the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

University Police was notified at about 11:30 p.m., University spokesman Al Cubbage said. Residential Life conducted a check of the Foster-Walker Complex room after concerned students said they had not seen Quint since Saturday. Her body was found in room 1-301, Foster-Walker West.

“Our students did the right thing, and our Residential Life staff did the right thing,” Cubbage said. “Truly our hearts go out to the family. It is a sad thing, and one that does indeed affect us all.”

The University had “no unusual contact with the student,” Dean of Students Burgie Howard said.

“She was a good student, not someone that we had been concerned about or worried about or aware of, which is part of what is so stunning for a lot of folks and her friends.” he said. “It’s kind of out of the blue.”

He said the death was a surprise to him and everyone with whom he works.

“It was a student in distress,” Howard said, adding that he did not believe alcohol was involved. Howard said he could not comment on the cause of death until Evanston Police Department detectives and the medical examiner’s office have completed their findings on the incident.

An autopsy took place this morning at the Cook County medical examiner’s office. Quint died of asphyxia and her death has been ruled a suicide, said Tony Brucci, the office’s deputy chief of investigations.

“It was a plastic bag over her head,” Brucci said. “I don’t have the specific details. I really couldn’t give everything, but that’s very common.”

The office has yet to determine any other factors in Quint’s death, Brucci said. Toxicology and other reports are still pending.

Promeeta Ghosh, who lives in Foster-Walker, said she came home from the library last night to see police outside the building.

“I noticed, I believe, four police cars parked in front and around Plex,” the Weinberg sophomore said. “On my way up to my room in the stairwell, I bumped into a police officer. I noticed he had blue gloves on, so I knew something was going on.”

Although she had heard about student deaths before, Ghosh said this was different.

“This one kind of struck me harder because it was someone in my dorm,” she said.

Banis extended condolences on behalf of the University to Quint’s friends and family.

“The loss of any individual member affects all of us in the Northwestern community,” he wrote.

Quint, a native of Concord, Mass., double-majored in German and linguistics, according to her Facebook profile.

Although UP and the EPD are investigating the incident, Banis said in his statement there appears to be no danger to the NU community.

The University will hold a gathering at 8:30 p.m. tonight in Foster-Walker for residents and friends of the students, Howard said. NU’s Counseling and Psychological Services, the University Chaplain and University-affiliated rabbis are on hand to speak with students confidentially.

Residential Life and the Office of Student Affairs are also prepared to speak with students in the coming days, Howard said.

Check back for updates thoughout the day.