85 Broads aims to attract new members

Targeting women involved or interested in business fields, 85 Broads was launched in 1997 by members of Goldman Sachs.

The group’s name refers to 85 Broad St., the address of the investment banking firm’s headquarters in New York City. Northwestern’s chapter of the organization, a self-described “global network of trailblazing women,” is currently planning to revitalize its membership to include a core group of dedicated participants while encouraging more peripheral members to attend occasional events.

NU’s chapter was founded on a small scale three years ago by a student who interviewed at Goldman Sachs, and since then it has grown to communicate with about 100 to 150 students.

NU’s 85 Broads President Benita Chan said she became involved in the group her sophomore year.

“I saw how my experience was enriched by being really involved; I want to show that to our membership base,” the SESP junior said.

85 Broads hosts social events throughout the year, inviting speakers through its own internal network of women who have worked at recognizable firms and brands like Morgan Stanley and Kraft Foods. The group is currently planning its next event, a meet-and-greet at Cold Stone Creamery during Reading Week, where members can learn about opportunities for leadership and the advantages of membership.

“It’s more than just events that are beneficial,” Chan said. “We want to have certain resources at a higher quality to members who are more committed, and we want to reach out to leaders.”

One of these resources is the 85 Broads mentorship program, which pairs an underclassman with an upperclassman to meet regularly and discuss how to achieve future goals, such as attaining internships.

Vice President of Marketing Jillian Altamura said her mentor was “the reason I wanted to get more involved.”

“She completely changed my résumé,” the Weinberg junior said. “It definitely helped in getting my internships.”

While Chan said the club has consciously continued to offer free membership to attract more members, they are facing a push from the national level to require fees.

“Now, because of the recession, they’re encouraging us to pay a membership fee,” said Communication junior Sherry Lin, director of programming at NU’s chapter.

For some aspiring members, the group’s value exceeds a tangible price tag.

Chrissy Pringle, a Weinberg sophomore, said she discovered 85 Broads from her sorority’s listserv.

“Essentially, what I’m looking for is networking and connections and to meet some women who can help me branch out not just in my academic life,” Pringle said.

According to Chan, the all-female edge is part of what has made 85 Broads an accepting community to female students who intern and eventually work in traditionally male-dominated professions.

“It’s a great support network because there’s a person who generally wants you to do well,” Chan said. “I think that having that person who’s excited for you is a great experience.”[email protected]

85 Broads aims to attract new members