Wrestling: Northwestern wins final match for coach

It has been a season of trials for Northwestern. The Wildcats started the Big Ten season 0-7, forfeited several weight classes in each matchup and routinely started three true freshmen.

But NU (6-12-1, 1-7 Big Ten) finished its season on a high note, avoiding the title of Big Ten cellar dweller after ousting Michigan 20-16 (4-15, 0-8 Big Ten) at Welsh-Ryan Arena. The win was the Cats’ first conference victory of the season and came in coach Tim Cysewski’s final match after leading the program for 20 years.

Cysewski will pass the reigns to current assistant coach Drew Pariano next year, while he will stay on as an associate coach.

“I really didn’t think about it,” Cysewski said. “I was just hoping our strategy would work to win the dual meet. There are always a certain amount of emotions that are involved, being senior night and everyone’s minds preparing for Big Tens and Nationals.”

After losing to Wisconsin 32-6, NU went into a matchup of the Big Ten’s two bottom teams, with the loser ending the season winless in conference play. The Wolverines held an early 4-0 lead, but NU junior Bobby Joyce (125), who returned from a broken hand, took down the Wolverines’ Sean Boyle to come within one. Then the Cats picked up two crucial wins to turn the momentum in their favor.

Senior Eric Metzler (133) started things off by taking down Michigan’s Zac Stevens in a come-from-behind win that had the crowd on its feet. Then, freshman Levi Mele (141), who normally wrestles two weight classes down in the 125-pound weight division, earned NU another comeback victory by overcoming Michigan’s Mark Weber 6-5 in sudden death overtime. Mele celebrated by pumping his fist and jumping up and down, energizing the home crowd eager for a win.

“There’s nothing better than that feeling,” Mele said. “It reminded me of when I took state sophomore year in high school. After getting that final takedown in overtime, it was such a good way to win because you know you earned it.”

Those wins put NU up 9-4, and the match turned in the Cats’ favor. Junior Andrew Nadhir (149), ranked 13th in the country, quickly took to his opponent and won in a landslide technical fall with 1:35 left in the second period, giving the Cats a 14-4 lead. A pair of wins by sophomore Robert Kellogg (165) and freshman Brian Roddy Jr. (174) clinched the dual for NU.

“Anytime your guys win emotional matches it lifts everyone up,” Cysewski said. “Metzler coming back and beating that guy made the difference. Michigan came out strong early, but then they faded badly. Our guys recognized that and kept the pressure on them.”

Much of the night focused on Cysewski, who is the program’s all-time winningest coach. He was honored at halftime with a presentation from Athletic Director Jim Phillips, who was accompanied by several of Cysewski’s former All-American wrestlers. While Cysewski didn’t want the limelight on himself, his players recognized his significance to the program.

“Tim is an amazing coach,” Mele said. “I appreciate everything he does and he’s still going to be around the program helping us out. I could see most of us wrestled with greater desire and passion because of him.”

Cysewski, on the other hand, was more focused on NU getting its first conference win of the season and beating Michigan, which he considers to be a major rival. It was only fitting that Cysewski, who will step down with the most wins in NU history, ended his head coaching career with a victory.

“It’s been a hard year, and we’ve faced a lot of injuries,” Mele said. “We just wanted to pull together with a strong purpose, especially in Tim’s last dual as head coach. That made the difference.”[email protected]