NU athletic department ‘goes green’ at home basketball games

Correction Appended

Last week basketball fans watched the Wildcats on the court and saw their fellow students attempt to make layups while holding recycling bins during stoppages of play.

The timeout spectacle was one of several activities during the “Purple Goes Green” event at the men’s and women’s basketball games Wednesday and Thursday.

The Northwestern Athletic Department, Green Cup and One Book One Northwestern co-sponsored Purple Goes Green. The games were part of various events in the four-week-long Green Cup, said Jeff Henderson, One Book project coordinator.

“We thought it would be a fun way to highlight the competitive spirit of Green Cup,” Henderson said.

During the men’s game against Penn State and the women’s game against Indiana, NU students participated in environment-friendly activities to represent their Green Cup teams.

The residences, fraternities and sororities that brought the greatest number of fans participated in prize drawings at halftimes. Representatives for the groups were signed in during the games to record participation, counting toward the Green Cup point totals. Pi Kappa Alpha won the halftime raffle during the men’s game, and Allison Hall won the halftime raffle during the women’s game.

“It was really successful,” Green Cup Coordinator Phillip Dziedzic said. “We had a good showing.”

The “Purple Goes Green” event was spearheaded by the Athletic Department in an attempt to be more eco-friendly, and Green Cup gave them the momentum, Dziedzic said.

One Book provided free headbands featuring the “Purple Goes Green” slogan to all students at the games.

“We saw it as a great opportunity to come together as a community and have a good time,” Henderson said.

In addition to the in-game competition, environmental facts and tips for conserving energy and water were projected on the television screens in the arena for fans and students to read.

“Anything that can help bring the campus together and bring awareness to something like that, well, there is no way it could go wrong,” Weinberg freshman Amanda Macaluso said.

“Taking care of the environment is something we find important. It’s good to spread information and be conscious of it.”

Macaluso said she is aware of Green Cup and has noticed changes in her dorm, such as fewer lights turned on to conserve energy or people being more cognizant of the waste they are producing.

Coordinators of the “Purple Goes Green” event said they are pleased with how the event turned out.

“If people didn’t know about Green Cup before, they do now,” Dziedzic said. “They seemed very supportive of it.”[email protected]

Editor’s Note: An original version of this story incorrectly stated Northwestern’s Athletic Department provided the free headbands. One Book provided the headbands. The Daily regrets the error.