Beehive’ roof damage culminates in closing, inconvenience

The Music Practice Building at 1823 Sherman Ave. was evacuated and closed Friday afternoon when a student reported damage to the roof.

A fence and caution tape have been placed around the building, and construction workers were evaluating the building Sunday afternoon. The sidewalks along Sherman Avenue and Elgin Road are closed because of the fencing.

University Police declined to comment Sunday but reported structural damage to the roof. Further investigation will occur Monday, UP said.

According to an e-mail sent to Bienen School of Music students Friday, the extent of the damage is currently unknown, but no injuries were reported.

The Music Practice Building, more commonly known as the Beehive, was built in 1915 and moved to its present location in 1925. It is one of three practice buildings on campus where students can play their instruments or sing.

Music sophomore Jimmye Ahn said she practiced her clarinet every day in the Beehive because it is close to Sigma Alpha Iota, the women’s music fraternity.

“I really don’t know what to do now that it’s closed,” she said. “I guess I can go to Regenstein, but the Beehive was usually where I practiced, so I have to change my whole schedule around.”

The Music Administration Building is next to the Beehive, but the Regenstein Hall of Music is located on Arts Circle Drive. Both facilities offer practice spaces.

The closing of the building also affects theater majors, Charlotte Ostrow said. The Communication sophomore said she normally practices singing in the Beehive twice a week.

“I guess I’ll have to practice in MAB, but there’s not going to be enough room,” she said. “That’s why they have the Beehive-because they don’t have enough rooms.”

The School of Music is planning to open a new building in 2012. Included in this building will be teaching studios, rehearsal spaces and practice rooms.

“Maybe this construction will be a good thing because I don’t think the Beehive has been cleaned since 1982,” Ahn said.[email protected]