Students learn how to say, “Thank you,” at Webinar

A carefully worded “thank-you” note can clinch the deal after a job interview, said Betsy Gill, internship specialist at University Career Services.

Fifteen members of the Northwestern community logged on to UCS Web site Wednesday afternoon to hear Gill present a 15-minute Webinar, “Thank You Notes.”

Gill, who has been with NU since fall 2009, launched the talk with a personal example that emphasized the importance of thank-you notes, saying she had gotten two jobs because of them.

“People on staff told me it was because of my thank-you note that really reinforced that they were making the right decision, and they should select me,” Gill said.

A focus of the Webinar was when and why to send the note. Gill said students should send notes during the interview process and directly after networking events, such as career panels, mock interviews and “externships.” Doing so allows them to stay in contact with people who can serve as references.

“Try to make note of everyone you’re speaking with,” said Gill, who also talked about what to do after speaking with multiple people of the same organization.

The Webinar went on to explain thank-you note conventions. During the interview process or career event, students should ask for a business card or some form of contact information. “Thank-you notes should generally be sent 24 to 48 hours after the event because you never know when they’re making their decision,” Gill said.

As for the gray area of handwritten versus e-mailed notes, Gill said to use e-mail if the organization is making its hiring decision within three days or fewer.

“Sooner is better than later,” she said.

Esther Lin, who recently received a post-graduation job offer, said she sends thank-you notes to all potential employers.

“We have a lot of conveniences in communication, but this is a courtesy that should be expected,” the Weinberg senior said.

On deciding between e-mailing and sending a thank-you note by postal mail, she said, “I use the form of communication they (potential employers) use with me.”

The “Thank You Notes” Webinar was one of several events sponsored by UCS to prepare students for upcoming career opportunities.

Katie Otim, one of the Webinar participants, said the presentation was great as a quick reference.

“You could do it wherever you were as long as you had a pair of headphones,” the fourth-year McCormick graduate student said.

A thank you note continues a conversation between the employer and the prospective employee, Gill said. It reminds the interviewer of the applicant’s strengths and allows missing or skimmed information to be taken into greater consideration.

“Do not, please do not send a generic letter,” Gill said. “You want to represent yourself well. It serves no purpose if all you’re doing is saying thank you. I want you to take it a step further.”[email protected]