Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl talks to ASG on town-gown issues

Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl attended the ASG Senate meeting Wednesday night to speak about town-gown relations and answer students’ questions. Tisdahl said relations between the University and Evanston have improved significantly.

“There will be some conflict, but what I think is tremendous at this point is that we have good will on both sides, which hasn’t always existed,” she said.

On NU students: “We love Northwestern students. But when you guys are drunk, we don’t love you so much.”

On The Great Room: “These are problems that are simple to solve. They don’t need to escalate. It requires students being sensitive and the people who work there being quiet.”On Schapiro: “It is impossible not to like Morton and Mimi Schapiro.”

On NU’s request to get rid of peddlers at football games: “This is Evanston; this is a shirt-off-your-back kind of town. … It’s things like that that kind of continue to keep the feud alive.”On the census: “Not only is it important to have all NU students counted, but the city is going to suffer. … I am convinced that we’re facing a severe undercount.”

On off-campus housing: “We actually really like you when you’re not partying and you’re not drunk. You’re very popular.”

On further improving town-gown relations: “There’s a reason that other universities have (tax) agreements with their cities … but I’m hopeful, and I fully believe that (good relations) will continue.”

– Lark Turner