ASG unveils new student center proposal

The Garrett parking lot on Sheridan Road could become the focal point of Northwestern’s campus for the next generation of students.

Construction of a new student center in the parking lot’s current location is one of four options for improving or replacing Norris University Center, as outlined in Associated Student Government’s recently unveiled New Student Center Initiative proposal.

On Monday, ASG launched a Web site containing an “in-brief” version of the extensive proposal that will be presented to the administration in coming weeks, said ASG Public Relations Director Claire Lew, who worked on the proposal.

“This is a precursory look at the problem and the ways that we can solve it,” the SESP junior said. “As of now it has been a completely student-run and student-fueled effort, but moving forward, we want to involve all sides of the NU community, including administrators and faculty and alumni.”

Since 1995 student surveys have identified “unmet student needs” regarding increased meeting spaces, centralized student services and general entertainment options, according to the proposal. It also described Norris as not conveniently and centrally located.The cheapest option, expected to cost about $45 million, involves renovating Norris without adding any space.

The “preferred option” calls for the construction of a new facility on Sheridan Road in the space currently occupied by the Garrett parking lot at an estimated cost of $95 million. This cost would include moving the existing parking garage underground.

The other two options involve renovating the Jacobs Center into a student center after the Kellogg School of Management moves out of the space in five years or adding space to the existing Norris facility.

ASG members began researching the proposal this fall. The “proposal phase,” in which they discuss the plans with administration and seek student input, will last through Spring Quarter, ASG President Mike McGee said.

“We want the whole NU community to see what we have done so we can get feedback,” the Communication senior said. “We have gotten a lot of good feedback in the last 24 hours, and so we will be revising that.”

If the administration agrees to address the identified need for a new student center in an upcoming capital campaign, the next phase of the initiative will involve specific decisions about the facility and funding.

At the ASG Senate meeting Wednesday night, senators unanimously passed an amended version of a resolution introduced last week concerning increases in the Student Activities Fee and in room and board. Following the amendment, increases to the SAF would be tied to annual tuition increases, like other student fees, rather than room and board increases as the resolution previously stated, outgoing ASG Financial Vice President Malavika Srinivasan said.

The resolution was intended to gain student support for SAF increases and will be presented to the Board of Trustees next week for a vote, the SESP senior said.Senators also passed a proclamation of ASG support for the Living Wage Campaign. In an introductory speech, Residential College Board district three Senator Dan Tully urged senators to take a stance for justice and support the proclamation.

“In tonight’s Senate we are being asked to help people in our own dining halls, dormitories, on our very own campus,” the Weinberg freshman said. “We cannot forget to fight for fairness in our community. And that is the truth I am asking you to think about today. Tonight let the administration know (the Senate’s) silence no more.”[email protected]