Women’s Swimming: Northwestern seeking records at Big Tens

Northwestern broke 12 school records in the last two Big Ten Championships. After an encouraging 8-3 record in dual meets this season, the No. 23 Wildcats are gunning for more at this year’s event in West Lafayette, Ind., on Feb. 17-20.

“It really is a great place to swim well,” coach Jimmy Tierney said. “The pools are high-end pools, and we’re looking forward to a great chance to do something special at Purdue.”

Last year then-junior Genny Szymanski broke the school record for the 200-yard backstroke in the tournament.

With another strong season under her belt, she is in position to repeat her feat.

“When I broke it the first time, it was great to be the best at the school,” Szymanski said. “Now it’s great to (be) the best than I can be. So I hope to do that again this year.”

A seventh-place finish in last season’s tournament failed to match the Cats’ high standards from the year before. In 2008, the Cats finished fifth as Andrea Hupman was named Big Ten Swimmer of the Championships and Tierney was named Big Ten’s Coach of the Year. Eight swimmers made it to the NCAA Championships a month later.

In 2009 then-sophomore Ellen Grigg was the only swimmer who made it to Nationals, thanks to her performance in the Big Ten Championships. Grigg earned NCAA ‘B’ standard times in all five of her individual events, took bronze in the 200-yard freestyle and scored the most points for NU in the tournament.

“I know the ‘A’ cuts are pretty hard to get, so I’m just looking to swim the fastest I can, swim hard on the relay I’m on and hope that those are good enough to get in,” Grigg said.

Although ‘A’ cuts, which guarantee entry into the NCAA Championships, are a lofty target, NU’s swimmers know they can compete with the conference’s best. The Cats beat No. 17 Wisconsin in November but lost to Indiana, Purdue and Michigan, three of the five Big Ten schools ranked above them in the CSCAA standings.

Still, Tierney said the narrow margin of those losses-156-144 to Indiana, 156-144 at Purdue and 157.5-142.5 at Michigan-bodes well for this week.

“No doubt it gives the girls a feeling they can race with people,” Tierney said. “It builds confidence and hopefully gives each individual and the relay groups a belief that they can race well with anybody.”

The culmination of a season’s hard work, the Big Ten Championships will be the last event of the season for many of the 35 squad members, since only a few will qualify for the NCAA Championships in March. Grigg said the tournament will unite the squad and end the season on a high note.

“Big Tens is the most exciting time of the year for sure,” she said. “It’s really exciting to have all your teammates around you; it’s just the greatest team atmosphere I’ve ever had. Everyone’s supporting you, hoping you do well. I think having that team atmosphere is what makes me perform well.”[email protected]