Action regarding Great Room postponed until March 16 by zoning board

The Zoning Board of Appeals postponed action regarding the Great Room until March 16 at a meeting Tuesday night.

At that time, the board will resume discussion on the fate of the Northwestern-owned building at 610 Haven St., which currently serves as NU’s newest dining option.

Evanston residents George and Andrea Gaines, who live on the 2200 block of Orrington Avenue, filed a petition in November, saying the recent change in use violates Evanston zoning law, an infraction which could result in the closure of the facility.

Art Newman, the Gaines’ attorney, asked for the continuance. He said they just received a $1,342 bill from the city after requesting the transcript of the ZBA’s last meeting and wished to apply to the Evanston City Council to waive that fee. They will apply in the next few days, he said, and come before the council at its Feb. 22 meeting.

Although this delays the proceedings, Newman said he thought it was fair given representation for NU was also granted a continuance earlier in the proceedings.

“We don’t feel there’s any prejudice to the restaurant or any food service because they’re still operating,” Newman said. “They were granted a continuance, and we think it’s equitable. We filed in November, and it wasn’t heard until January so we think it’s reasonable.”

Howard Zweig, the attorney for NU, said “the University has no objection whatsoever to the continuance.”

Newman suggested they resume the proceedings on March 2, the ZBA’s first scheduled meeting in March. Zweig said he has a witness who would be out of town, and requested to wait until March 16.

Only a few people attended the brief meeting on a very snowy night. Board member Matthew Rodgers concluded the session “with apologies for everyone who cleared out their car to come out tonight.”

– BRITTNEY WONG