NU-Q begins to search for new dean of students

As Northwestern in Qatar accepts applications for its third freshman class, the search has begun for a new dean of students for fall 2011.

The current dean, John Margolis, agreed to a three-year appointment when he took the position. A former associate provost for faculty, he has been dean of NU-Q since its opening in fall 2008.

“Given that this was a new enterprise that had a tremendous number of unknowns and logistical challenges, John was terrific in taking on the responsibility to help us set it up in a way that was successful,” University Provost Daniel Linzer said.

Linzer said Margolis has no relevant academic background in communication or journalism, NU-Q’s only subject areas.

“By the end of his three-year term, we would be at a point where it’s no longer a start-up venture but an ongoing academic enterprise,” he said. “We’d be able to hand over the reins to someone else who is probably more closely embedded within (journalism and communication).”

Though the search has only just begun, NU-Q student Nayaab Shaikh said in an Internet chat the new dean will have a lot to live up to.

“Dean Margolis has set the mark very high,” the Communication sophomore said.

What Margolis had accomplished with NU-Q over the past two years has been “remarkable,” she said.

“The cultural differences between the U.S. and here are vast,” she said. “He has brilliantly bridged those gaps and has constantly strived towards the betterment of the NU-Q community … The new dean should be well-prepared to overcome and bridge those differences in the best way.”

Omer Mohammad, an NU-Q student, said in an Internet chat Margolis was an “inspiration.”

“He’s been able to help a lot of the students learn and get involved with many things,” the Communication sophomore said. “He’s given us the push to go for what we believe in, whether it’s something personal or community-related.”

Because NU-Q is so new, Mohammad said the new dean will need initiative to promote student involvement. He said Margolis is currently meeting with students to learn about these issues at breakfast events every other Sunday.

Mohammad said he wasn’t ready to see Margolis go.

“It’s sad,” he said. “We’ve all grown really attached to having him around.”

The search for the new dean will take at least six to eight months, Linzer said.

Among other initiatives, NU will try to make it easy for students at both campuses to study in either Evanston or Qatar, Linzer said.

The dean’s job will change focus from growth to improving the quality of programs NU-Q offers, he said.

“We’re already seeing a big change in the kinds of issues that have to be addressed,” Linzer said.[email protected]