Bernstein to be lone candidate for judgeship

Former Evanston alderman Steve Bernstein won the Democratic primary for Ninth District Subcircuit judge Tuesday night.

Bernstein defeated five other candidates for the spot on the Cook County Circuit Court.

With 183 of 185 precincts reporting, Bernstein received 30.69 percent of the vote, reported the Cook County Clerk’s Office.

‘I feel wonderful,’ Bernstein said. ‘I’m blessed, I’m grateful and I’m a lucky man.’

With no Republican candidates vying for the judgeship, Bernstein is likely to be sworn into the position after November’s general election. As a political candidate, Bernstein is on leave from his’ job as Acting General Counsel for the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority.

‘I’ll have to wait and get up on the morning of the election so I can win by at least a vote,’ Bernstein said.

The former 4th Ward alderman retired from the council last year, after 12 years of service.

Though serving in a judicial position is ‘substantially different’ from serving on the council, Bernstein said his aldermanic experience will help him behind the bench.

‘Court room management is pretty analogous to running contested committee meetings, and credibility is important,’ he said. ‘As a judge, you have to listen, just as I did on the council. I’m looking forward to learning my new craft.’

Bernstein, who once served as a township assessor, received endorsements from many Evanston officials, including eight aldermen and Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl.

Campaign manager Jonas Heineman said Bernstein had a lot of support in Evanston.

‘Having a strong base of support from the people who know him, who know his character and his qualifications, was definitely an advantage in the campaign,’ Heineman said. ‘He is very pleased that the people who know him best have continued to support him in this new aspect of public service.’

– NATHALIE TADENA