Northwestern students compete for title in ‘NU’s Got Talent’ showcase

Correction Appended

Phi Beta Sigma fraternity beat out seven other groups for the title of most talented at Northwestern to Benefit Special Olympics’ ‘NU’s Got Talent.’

Students and one faculty member competed at Ryan Family Auditorium on Saturday to raise money for this spring’s upcoming Special Olympic games.

University President Morton O. Schapiro, Associated Student Government President Mike McGee, coach Pat Fitzgerald and Peter Lindquist, a Special Olympics gold medalist , sat on the judging panel. Schapiro’s 10-year-old daughter, Rachel, also helped judge.

Justin Kim, a Bienen junior with a YouTube following, sang both the male and female parts of ‘A Whole New World’ from Disney’s Aladdin. Kim forgot some of the lyrics, but won over judges and the crowd. He was one of the top three finalists.

‘I’m speechless,’ Schapiro said after Kim’s performance. ‘That was beautiful.’

Fitzgerald was red in the face during Kim’s act.

‘I don’t know whether to laugh or cry,’ he said. ‘I need that (YouTube URL) because I need that every day.’

Lindquist said, ‘The choreography made it work,’ referring to Kim’s mid-performance twirl.

‘Justin, you’re just a piece of work,’ Schapiro said as Kim left the stage. ‘I’m going to watch that tonight, and I’ll probably have nightmares.’

The only non-student performance came from Art Schmidt, an NU physics professor and self-taught guitarist. Schmidt sang a ‘ditty’ in honor of the upcoming Illinois election called ‘Charlie MTA.’ The song satirized increasing Chicago Transit Authority fares through the story of ‘poor old Charlie.’

‘There is a parallel between Art’s ‘Poor Old Charlie’ and the Rolling Stones’ ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,’ Lindquist said. ‘Great job.’

The winner, Phi Beta Sigma fraternity, performed a four-part step act, concluding with a routine choreographed to Miley Cyrus’s ‘Party in the USA.’

‘The stepping was amazing, and then you put Miley Cyrus on and it just went off the hook,’ Fitzgerald said.

Other contestants were Refresh, a hip-hop dance group; Tonik Tap, a tap dance group; a comedian who rapped; Steam Heat, a dance group; and a nameless string and singing ensemble.

The night opened and closed with the Misericordia Heartbreakers, a group of Special Olympics athletes who have been performing for more than 25 years. The multi-act performance included 1950s poodle skirts, sparkling silver sequined jackets and an Elvis impersonation.

Bill White, a Special Olympics athlete, director of Best Buddies Northwestern for 16 years and a member of the Misericordia Heartbreakers, has been with the group since its beginning.

‘Dancing is a part of me,’ he said. ‘It helps me do better.’

NU Special Olympics Public Relations Representative Jessica Lehr said the event was a ‘big success.’

‘Everyone seemed to have a great time,’ she said. ‘I laughed. I cried. It was beautiful.’ Northwestern to Benefit Special Olympics is the oldest collegiate Special Olympics in the country, Special Olympics representatives said.

‘I am so proud to be a part of this,’ Schapiro said. ‘It is an honor to be a judge. It was a wonderful night for a great cause.’ [email protected]

In an earlier version of this article, the song performed by Art Schmidt was refered to as an original song. It was a cover.