Wrestling: NU eyes 11th-ranked Oklahoma

After a shaky start to the season, a weekend trip to the Lone Star Duals in Texas might be exactly what Northwestern needs to smooth out its play.

The Wildcats (2-5-1), who have dropped three of their last four matches, head to South Grand Prairie, Texas, knowing Saturday’s duals will be their last opportunity to build momentum before their typically brutal Big Ten schedule.

“We should do well and need to do well, but it’s not the end of the world if everything doesn’t go to plan,” junior Andrew Nadhir said. “After this weekend we go to Big Ten season, where every dual is a shot at new life and a chance to knock off a top-ranked team.”

On Saturday the Cats will wake up early for an 8 a.m. contest against Air Force, followed by bouts with No. 11 Oklahoma and Brown at South Grand Prairie High School.

“Oklahoma is a top-ranked squad and is wrestling a lot better than they did last year,” coach Tim Cysewski said. “Can we win against them? Yes-if things go our way.”

Even if NU doesn’t pull off the upset, it figures to be the favorite in its other two contests.

“At the very worst, I really think we should beat up on Air Force and Brown,” Nadhir said. “We’re the Big Ten team, we’re the team that should be feared.”

The Falcons are 1-3 on the season, while the Bears are 2-1 in their nonconference slate. But beating nationally ranked Oklahoma is the prize NU is most focused on.

“I don’t know anything about Brown or Air Force,” Nadhir said. “But I know Oklahoma is real good and is strong every year. That will be a real tough matchup.”

NU will have to fill the void left by heavyweight Ben Kuhar, who had season-ending surgery on his shoulder last week after what Cysewski called a “fluke” injury. The Cats had to forfeit the heavyweight class in last weekend’s matches against Missouri and Central Michigan.

The Cats aim to build on their encouraging performances against the two nationally ranked opponents in last weekend’s ultra-competitive NWCA duals. Before defaulting the heavyweight class, NU held an 18-17 lead over Missouri.

“We lost both matches, but we did improve a lot,” Nadhir said. “Some of those losses we could win another week down the road. We’ve had a good start to the New Year, and guys realized there is still a lot of time left to wrestle.”

NU has not wrestled in the Lone Star Duals since 2003 and is making its first trip outside of the Midwest region this season. Cysewski said he was concerned about the climate affecting his team’s focus, especially after he thought his team underperformed at Stanford last year.

“We haven’t been down (to Texas) in a while,” he said. “Hopefully the weather isn’t too nice. We don’t want to be distracted and get out there and forget what we’re there for.”Nadhir said he is looking forward to playing three teams he has never wrestled against. And after experiencing Evanston’s winters, a little sunshine won’t hurt, either.

“I don’t think the guys will wrestle any differently,” Nadhir said. “It should be really cool and a nice change of scenery, and hopefully we’ll go 3-0 and then go back home. We’re hoping to go make the most of it.”